Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast

Thread: Good News on Infrastructure thread

Post Thanks / Like

I also like that the sidewalk funnels you right into that utility pole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I'm enjoying the new cameras at 50 and Fillmore. The last few times I've ridden through there late at night (always southbound), the traffic signals for 50 have turned yellow immediately as I cross the first stop line (at the service road).

3. Likes Steve O, Tania liked this post
    Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Could easily be in Germany.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00470.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	15339 Approaching Bad Homberg, there's a ditch on the other side of the road before you get to the bike path, and this is at an intersection. Not too uncommon. Some of it is that they don't want you to try and cross at real intersections?
    Last edited by consularrider; 08-09-2017 at 06:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's some more context via Washcycle:

http://www.thewashcycle.com/2017/08/...ike-trail.html

The weird thing is that this doesn't seem to be a construction error -- it was somebody's deliberate decision.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe they want to make bunny hopping a required skill. Babies on strollers can get a first hand experience.

Post Thanks / Like

They've been doing some trail repair work on the MVT just south of Belle Haven Park. So far they've ground down some of the root heaves, and patched with asphalt over the repairs. Unfortunately they aren't giving the material time to dry before reopening the affected segments of the trail, so there are already bike tracks through most of the patches which is making for some new and exciting trail bumps .

Their reasoning for picking what bumps, and where to patch isn't quite clear--I'm not sure why they started just south of the park, and ignored the root heaves inside the park, but at least something is getting done. Hopefully they continue working on it over the next few days/weeks.

8. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Last year Alexandria put King Street between Janney's Lane and the high school on a road diet - removed an auto travel lane, added bike lanes and pedestrian crossing islands, etc. Yesterday the city reported that while this section had averaged 7 collisions per year for the last decade, there have been (knock on wood) ZERO collisions in the year since undertaking the road diet.

https://twitter.com/AlexandriaVATES/...76033607397376

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterw_diy View Post
    Last year Alexandria put King Street between Janney's Lane and the high school on a road diet - removed an auto travel lane, added bike lanes and pedestrian crossing islands, etc. Yesterday the city reported that while this section had averaged 7 collisions per year for the last decade, there have been (knock on wood) ZERO collisions in the year since undertaking the road diet.

This is obviously a war on cars, which should be allowed to hit whatever they want.

11. Likes secstate, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterw_diy View Post

Also lowered the speed limit from 35MPH to 25MPH, which probably led to this result together with the traffic calming infra. T&ES will be releasing more before and after data shortly, IIUC.

13. Likes dasgeh, secstate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    I'm enjoying the new cameras at 50 and Fillmore. The last few times I've ridden through there late at night (always southbound), the traffic signals for 50 have turned yellow immediately as I cross the first stop line (at the service road).
    Next up - 50 & Irving. (can't wait!)

15. Likes Steve O, dasgeh, vern liked this post