Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyclist Hit by Car in Arlington

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Even if the driver was staring into the sun, that is not an excuse. Since he/she wasn't, it's even less of one. (My impression of the rising sun may have been colored by my retina searing ride to get coffee on Washington Blvd. this morning.)

You mentioned that you were wearing bright clothing, had reflectors/tape on your bike, and had lights on. Of the three, only the lights would have helped in this situation. Bright clothing and reflectors only work when light is shining on them, which it wouldn't be for a driver looking left. How bright are your lights? Do you have one on your helmet? Do they have a strobe mode? You may want to check out this thread: http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...ock-Creek-park

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the problems with the Wakefield/westbound Fairfax Dr intersection is that the bike lane ends about 20 feet before the intersection where there is a bumpout by the two Marymount University building driveways. When I ride the stretch on Fairfax from Glebe to Wakefield, I tend to take the lane rather than the bike lane to avoid the squeeze play when the bike lane abruptly ends. My impression is that there is less westbound traffic there in the morning when I'm heading east coming from the Bluemont Trail. Also at that point on Fairfax drivers are headed to I-66 and are probably getting in the freeway mode of thinking and bikes have to enter the sidewalk as the connection over to the Custis Trail. I also think (but have no evidence to support my theory) that most of the year the tall buildings in the area would block the rising sun there so glare should be minimal.
    Last edited by consularrider; 10-28-2013 at 12:03 PM.

3. Likes rcannon100, car(e) free family liked this post
    jrenaut is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, your bike is probably totaled. I think most manufacturers will not stand behind a bike that's been in an accident - it's impossible to know whether the structural integrity of the frame has been compromised. I know this is true for Giant, because that's what the Giant rep told the guy at my LBS when I went in to ask.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
    Additional comment: I'm not familiar with the intersection your accident happened at, but I've found that at intersections, its almost always better to be out in the lane with the other vehicles.
    Unfortunately, at this intersection, westbound cyclists are traveling from the bike lane on the street to the trail/sidewalk on the other side of Wakefield. And the pavement sucks before and during the current reconstruction of the intersection.

Post Thanks / Like

Default crosswalks are for walking

Jabberwocky-

I agree that crosswalks are dangerous places for riding on bikes. If I use them while on my bike, I dismount and walk my bike. I think that you lose your visibility and there is risk of a collision with a pedestrian.

In this case particular, I was on the roadway when I was hit. ( If I hadn't been hit, I would have briefly passed through the crosswalk to use sidewalk to get to the trail...if that makes any sense

Thanks for your comments!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    Also, your bike is probably totaled. I think most manufacturers will not stand behind a bike that's been in an accident - it's impossible to know whether the structural integrity of the frame has been compromised. I know this is true for Giant, because that's what the Giant rep told the guy at my LBS when I went in to ask.
    If the bike in the picture is the bike in question, that bike has a steel frame. It's going to be a lot tougher (and more malleable) then the flimsy aluminum things that jrenaut would buy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    Unfortunately, at this intersection, westbound cyclists are traveling from the bike lane on the street to the trail/sidewalk on the other side of Wakefield. And the pavement sucks before and during the current reconstruction of the intersection.
    Agreed. It is a challenging intersection on so many points!

jrenaut is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    If the bike in the picture is the bike in question, that bike has a steel frame. It's going to be a lot tougher (and more malleable) then the flimsy aluminum things that jrenaut would buy.
    I'll have you know my current bike is "Bianchi Cr-Mo, triple butted main tubes, tig welded". The Giant was aluminum, though.

Still, I bet no bike manufacturer's legal team is going to disagree with Giant. A steel bike that looks fine probably is fine, but you never know.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious as to what kind of lighting you have on your bike. In your previous post, you mentioned loving the little blinkies that BikeArlington gives out, which are cute, but not sufficient to 'be seen' in traffic or noticed by cars. Do you have a light that is brighter that you can use in the future? Something that might approach the level of brightness of a car headlight, to help you get noticed by drivers that aren't looking for cyclists.
    Last edited by americancyclo; 10-28-2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: five foot seven

Post Thanks / Like

Gina, I am sorry to hear about this and wish you a speedy recovery.