Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bike light recommendations

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Peter White has a pretty comprehensive section on his web site devoted to lighting.
    I bought a Schmidt hub from him about 10 years ago. My light was stolen with my bike last summer (but the wheel with the dynamo hub was safely in the shed at the time--thankfully). I bought a new Lumotech light which was an upgrade from halogen to LED. I'm very happy. Note that these lights are designed with very specific beam patterns, which Peter White has photos of on his site.

Post Thanks / Like

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

So I picked up a Lezyne Mega Drive off chain love recently. I haven't had a chance to use it yet because of all the sunshine, but I charged it and turned it on. It puts out a slight humming sound when on. Anyone else have a light do this, or should I be concerned that it's faulty?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnoftheDread View Post
    So I picked up a Lezyne Mega Drive off chain love recently. I haven't had a chance to use it yet because of all the sunshine, but I charged it and turned it on. It puts out a slight humming sound when on. Anyone else have a light do this, or should I be concerned that it's faulty?
    Pretty much all of the high powered LED lights will have transformer/regulator circuitry. That circuitry will sometimes emit a high frequency hum, which should not be a functional issue.

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    Pretty much all of the high powered LED lights will have transformer/regulator circuitry. That circuitry will sometimes emit a high frequency hum, which should not be a functional issue.
    Ah, I've never had an ELITE light before. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    Or it will implode, form a gravitational singularity, and suck in the entire solar system. Either one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post
    Or it will implode, form a gravitational singularity, and suck in the entire solar system. Either one.
    It's bright enough that I'd believe it possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing is impossible, merely improbable.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, don't forget reflectors. They obviously don't help with seeing, but they are often more effective than lights at being seen. Note the visibility of the vest as opposed to the helmet lights in this photo. And this is not even my most reflective garment.

Post Thanks / Like

I have such a light. I use it sparingly and only for good so as to remain in Newtonian space time format.

Had a cheap cateye type cycle computer that would fritz out when my LED light was next to it on the handlebar. This proved to be expensive as I liked the light more than the cateye so I got a Garmin edge 200, which caused me to get a 500, which caused me to get an 800, which caused me to get a 1000. (I sold the 800 for almost enough to cover the 1000 but still....)