Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bike light recommendations

Default Bike light recommendations

In the process of writing a blog post yesterday about being seen while riding in the dark, I was left with the question.
    What are the best options out there for bike lighting to use in the conditions one finds in Arlington/ DC area?

Thanks!

http://carfreefam.wordpress.com

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical

We just had a thread on this topic: http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...ock-Creek-park

Does that help?

(Also, I PM'd you - on the upper right there's a "notifications" drop down, and you should see inbox. I run Kidical Mass Arlington :-)

And most importantly, welcome!

Dasgeh's response was much more helpful! And yes, welcome.

Default Thank You

Thank you both for the link to the thread that discussed lights.

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.

So, back to lights yet again. Exposure has their Sirius light on sale for $90. 350 lumens and it looks as slick as the Diablo, only smaller. I know you Diablo users love I out lights, but does anyone have experience with this lesser light? http://store.ibexsports.com/mobile/e...ts-sirius-mk1-

The other I'm considering is the Cygolite Expilion 800. 800 lumens, $100. How swayed should I be by the lumens count? Should I expect a big difference in brightness between the two, or just a small difference.

I admit aesthetic considerations are pulling me in one direction. Also, I'll be buying with a gift card so it's almost a freebie.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnoftheDread View Post
    So, back to lights yet again. Exposure has their Sirius light on sale for $90. 350 lumens and it looks as slick as the Diablo, only smaller. I know you Diablo users love I out lights, but does anyone have experience with this lesser light? http://store.ibexsports.com/mobile/e...ts-sirius-mk1-

The other I'm considering is the Cygolite Expilion 800. 800 lumens, $100. How swayed should I be by the lumens count? Should I expect a big difference in brightness between the two, or just a small difference.

I admit aesthetic considerations are pulling me in one direction. Also, I'll be buying with a gift card so it's almost a freebie.
    I have an Expillion 300. It's a fine light but I hate the mount. It can pop off somewhat easily and doesn't fit many different bar sizes/shapes. I've come to appreciate Cateeye's mounting system, which fits my needs a bit better (due mainly to the varying sizes of handlebars in my stable). FWIW, my Cateye is a 600L, with a 300L (I think) "low" setting, but the 600L setting feels only maybe 30% brighter.

Exposure Diablo mounted beneath the bar so you can easily thumb through the settings without having to move your hands from the tops.

Apparently the exposure sirius @$90 is out of stock, so that may make this easier. I might have bought one at that price for mountain biking (the supernova airstream won't work well for that; I will probably warranty my Niterider Lumina [for the second time] for that purpose).

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.

I'm pretty good at letting time choose for me. Now I'll wait for the cygolite to go on sale for $80, at which point they'll be out of stock too.