Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bike light recommendations

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bike light recommendations

In the process of writing a blog post yesterday about being seen while riding in the dark, I was left with the question.
    What are the best options out there for bike lighting to use in the conditions one finds in Arlington/ DC area?

Thanks!

http://carfreefam.wordpress.com

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

We just had a thread on this topic: http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...ock-Creek-park

Does that help?

(Also, I PM'd you - on the upper right there's a "notifications" drop down, and you should see inbox. I run Kidical Mass Arlington :-)

And most importantly, welcome!

Post Thanks / Like

Dasgeh's response was much more helpful! And yes, welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank You

Thank you both for the link to the thread that discussed lights.

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

So, back to lights yet again. Exposure has their Sirius light on sale for $90. 350 lumens and it looks as slick as the Diablo, only smaller. I know you Diablo users love I out lights, but does anyone have experience with this lesser light? http://store.ibexsports.com/mobile/e...ts-sirius-mk1-

The other I'm considering is the Cygolite Expilion 800. 800 lumens, $100. How swayed should I be by the lumens count? Should I expect a big difference in brightness between the two, or just a small difference.

I admit aesthetic considerations are pulling me in one direction. Also, I'll be buying with a gift card so it's almost a freebie.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnoftheDread View Post
    So, back to lights yet again. Exposure has their Sirius light on sale for $90. 350 lumens and it looks as slick as the Diablo, only smaller. I know you Diablo users love I out lights, but does anyone have experience with this lesser light? http://store.ibexsports.com/mobile/e...ts-sirius-mk1-

The other I'm considering is the Cygolite Expilion 800. 800 lumens, $100. How swayed should I be by the lumens count? Should I expect a big difference in brightness between the two, or just a small difference.

I admit aesthetic considerations are pulling me in one direction. Also, I'll be buying with a gift card so it's almost a freebie.
    I have an Expillion 300. It's a fine light but I hate the mount. It can pop off somewhat easily and doesn't fit many different bar sizes/shapes. I've come to appreciate Cateeye's mounting system, which fits my needs a bit better (due mainly to the varying sizes of handlebars in my stable). FWIW, my Cateye is a 600L, with a 300L (I think) "low" setting, but the 600L setting feels only maybe 30% brighter.

Post Thanks / Like

Exposure Diablo mounted beneath the bar so you can easily thumb through the settings without having to move your hands from the tops.

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently the exposure sirius @$90 is out of stock, so that may make this easier. I might have bought one at that price for mountain biking (the supernova airstream won't work well for that; I will probably warranty my Niterider Lumina [for the second time] for that purpose).

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty good at letting time choose for me. Now I'll wait for the cygolite to go on sale for $80, at which point they'll be out of stock too.