Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Bike light recommendations

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I bought a Schmidt hub from him about 10 years ago. My light was stolen with my bike last summer (but the wheel with the dynamo hub was safely in the shed at the time--thankfully). I bought a new Lumotech light which was an upgrade from halogen to LED. I'm very happy. Note that these lights are designed with very specific beam patterns, which Peter White has photos of on his site.
    Do Schmidt products go on sale in the spring? I'd like to finally bite the bullet and get a winter wheel, a generator hub and headlamp for my commuter bike. Maybe this spring or summer I'll pony up for one. For now, I have a Cygolite Metro 300, and for me, it's about the bare minimum for seeing what's up ahead. It's fine as a "be seen" light.

Ten years ago, before LEDs were common, cheap, and decent, I hacked together a Home Depot halogen accent bulb and a heavy sealed lead-acid battery. I must have read an instructable about it. Talk about an unfocused beam!
    Name:  light.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  12.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

This is the bare minimum you should have on the trail.

3. Likes Judd, streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasyRider View Post
    Do Schmidt products go on sale in the spring?
    Unlikely. They are not exactly a mass-market product in the U.S. Dynamo hubs from Shimano and Shutter Precision are cheaper and a little more widely available than Schmidt hubs, and you may run into sales on them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    so I got a Garmin edge 200, which caused me to get a 500, which caused me to get an 800, which caused me to get a 1000. (I sold the 800 for almost enough to cover the 1000 but still....)
    As they say, the first step is to admit you have a problem!

6. Likes streetsmarts, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have any experience with the NiteRider Lumina 750 Headlight Combo? I'm looking to use it on the CCT.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasyRider View Post
    Do Schmidt products go on sale in the spring? I'd like to finally bite the bullet and get a winter wheel, a generator hub and headlamp for my commuter bike. Maybe this spring or summer I'll pony up for one.
    Name:  light.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  12.2 KB
    Why not just get a shimano dyno wheel? You probably won't notice the difference. I got my front wheel from Taylor Wheels in Germany for about $175 for a double-walled sturdy rim. I got the lights from Bikes at Vienna (they order/stock B&M lights from Peter White Cycles).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ab20854 View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with the NiteRider Lumina 750 Headlight Combo? I'm looking to use it on the CCT.
    I use the NiteRider lights. Good light for the $ and plenty of light for standard speed road travel. I like that the base can be swiveled side to side. This lets me flick the light beam to the curb when there is oncoming traffic on the MUP. No need to keep a hand over the light. Flick it hard right and back to center after the pass. The cone of light is good for a non European format light. Good field of vision for the rider but standard amount of glare for the oncoming traffic hence the flick right. (does not matter if you have a non glare light or not on the MUPs to not block / turn the light will garner comments glare or not. I had a guy with a 1000 watt eye washing / brain shunting flasher on his front fork nag at me at dusk and my light was low bean and turned full right)
    I do take care when unplugging the charger cord. I hamfisted the cord one day and pulled the port out of the light.
    Should you ever wear the battery out after 500+ recharges the battery inside is the very standard 18650 format. Inexpensive, easy to find and can be replaced with standard home hack skills.

10. Likes americancyclo liked this post
    americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    I do take care when unplugging the charger cord. I hamfisted the cord one day and pulled the port out of the light.
    Should you ever wear the battery out after 500+ recharges the battery inside is the very standard 18650 format. Inexpensive, easy to find and can be replaced with standard home hack skills.
    I've had the same Nightrider light for at least five years now and its been replaced twice for a $20 bench fee, after the usb rubber surround came out and after the retention tab broke off. both times they were super easy to deal with.

Post Thanks / Like

I have two NiteRider 650's. They've been durable, surviving several falls without incident. Good run time, easy to remove. The only knock is that they move around a bit on the handlebar.

Post Thanks / Like

My thinking on this has evolved a bit since February. Kinda interested in the B&M Ixon IQ Premium described on Peter White's site. Battery powered and has a cutoff beam. Not cheap at ~$100, but seems like it'd be a step up from the Cygolite 300 I've been using the past few years. Anyone using one of these?