Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Snakes on Trails

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

I think a frog committed suicide on my bike shoe one day. This was a couple years ago, on the MVT in Alexandria, or maybe south of Old Town, near Dyke Marsh. I was riding along at a moderate speed on the paved trail. Then I saw/felt something jump out of the grass and smack right into the side of my shoe. It had to be a frog or a toad. It felt soft and I don't think it was a bird. I turned and looked at the grass. I didn't see the frog or toad hopping away, so I think he was toast.

It was his fault for crashing into my foot.

Post Thanks / Like

In the past couple of weeks, I've seen two snakes on the Mount Vernon Trail.

The first was a medium snake about two weeks ago between 5 and 6 p.m. It was black, and until I was right on top of it, I mistook it for that rubber asphalt material that's used to fill in cracks in the trail surface. It didn't seem to move; maybe it was already dead.

On May 26, between 7:00 and 7:30 a.m., I was headed North between Crystal City and Rosslyn when I saw a large fallen branch on the trail. I figured the branch must have fallen from the tree hanging overhead. The cyclist about 15 feet ahead of me swerved around it. Following, I swerved into the southbound lane to avoid the branch...when I noticed it moving. I panicked and wobbled, but fortunately I kept my balance. Imagine falling and landing on the snake. It looked to be brown and black; I didn't care to get a closer look. I looked back and noticed another cyclist had dismounted to get a closer look. I proceeded North and warned oncoming joggers and cyclists of what was ahead.

Any other sightings?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa703 View Post
    In the past couple of weeks, I've seen two snakes on the Mount Vernon Trail.

The first was a medium snake about two weeks ago between 5 and 6 p.m. It was black, and until I was right on top of it, I mistook it for that rubber asphalt material that's used to fill in cracks in the trail surface. It didn't seem to move; maybe it was already dead.

On May 26, between 7:00 and 7:30 a.m., I was headed North between Crystal City and Rosslyn when I saw a large fallen branch on the trail. I figured the branch must have fallen from the tree hanging overhead. The cyclist about 15 feet ahead of me swerved around it. Following, I swerved into the southbound lane to avoid the branch...when I noticed it moving. I panicked and wobbled, but fortunately I kept my balance. Imagine falling and landing on the snake. It looked to be brown and black; I didn't care to get a closer look. I looked back and noticed another cyclist had dismounted to get a closer look. I proceeded North and warned oncoming joggers and cyclists of what was ahead.

Any other sightings?
    Two on the towpath over the weekend--a garter snake and a fat grey one that was too quick for me to identify. Your black snake was likely a black racer or black rat snake. Had one run over top of my foot once while hiking. They mostly just want to get away from you, although the garter snakes can be quite testy and will strike. I don't mind them if I can see them first and they're in their habitat; hate being surprised by them. We had a black rat snake in our basement a few years back that was a challenge to get out. I did not enjoy seeing it going up the stairs.

Post Thanks / Like

Ugh I seriously hate snakes. I have a mini heart attack every time I see one slither along the trail in front of me. I'm basically Indiana Jones really.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    We had a black rat snake in our basement a few years back that was a challenge to get out. I did not enjoy seeing it going up the stairs.
    It's a good thing I just moved out of my Arlington house with a basement....otherwise I'd probably have to burn it down so this could never happen.

Post Thanks / Like

I've nearly run over quite a few black snakes but I didn't realize we had rattlers to contend with!

Here's one from last spring.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	171 
Size:	149.4 KB 
ID:	11855

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Supermau View Post
    I've nearly run over quite a few black snakes but I didn't realize we had rattlers to contend with!

Too bad you can't use that for bicycle tag. It would be a hard act to follow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Supermau View Post

You sure that's not just a harmless kingsnake? Hard to tell from pic but I'm fairly sure the only rattlesnakes in Virginia are timber rattlers and they're pretty distinctive.

(I love snakes.)

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Most snakes in Virginia you really should not worry about and should leave alone.

Virginia Rattler

Virginia Kingsnake

This one - I would commit to memorization and stay away - the Copperhead: They like to hang out in rocks and cliffs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    Most snakes in Virginia you really should not worry about and should leave alone.

[/IMG]
    The copperheads are often confused with brown water snakes, which are harmless. So don't be mean to them if you think you see one.