Likes Likes:  17
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lighting suggestions for Hains Point, Rock Creek park?

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

If I remember right, there was a recall about three years ago on the Magic Shine battery pack because of a fire danger. There was a long gap before a new version was on the market. FYI, the links may be marketing placements.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    If I remember right, there was a recall about three years ago on the Magic Shine battery pack because of a fire danger. There was a long gap before a new version was on the market. FYI, the links may be marketing placements.
    The batteries on the ones currently sold under other names are possibly the same as those ones that were previously sold under the Magicshine brand (they look identical) and I think the case of one exploding I heard about was within the last year. There are a couple sites now selling the Magicshine branded lights with fancier battery packs which are probably safer. (The cheap battery packs are just four 18650 batteries wired together so you could probably get batteries with built in protection circuits or use a charger that's more intelligent about knowing when to stop the current.)
    Last edited by jhr; 10-10-2013 at 04:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I had heard about the fire issue and recall on MagicShine stuff as well. So far, I find that the batteries charge in about three hours, even when completely discharged. So I tend to recharge them at work, and I can babysit them while I sit at my desk.

My end goal is to build up another dynamo hub-equipped front wheel and get a new Busch and Muller Cyo N headlight like the one I used to have. It sure was nice not having to worry about charging batteries!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by off2ride View Post
    Light & Motion Urban works for me. I have the 500. Easy on/off the hbars. Compact modular design. I also use it off the bike. Doubles as a flashlight. Fairly priced.
    I love L&M! I've got an Urban 550, TAZ 1200 and, SECA 800. All wonderful products, and I've have good luck with customer service through the local bike shops.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    I love L&M! I've got an Urban 550, TAZ 1200 and, SECA 800. All wonderful products, and I've have good luck with customer service through the local bike shops.
    I have a Light and Motion Vis 360 on my helmet for general purpose and directed beam, and an Urban 200 (I think) on my handlebar for wide beam trail lightup. Works fine for paved trails (might want a bit more light for night MTB).

Post Thanks / Like

just an update, I purchased the NR Minewt 650 and mounted it on my bars. For those of you that have this, do you use the flash mode on trails and roads? It seems really bright compared to the highest setting and im not sure if it is blindingly bright to oncoming traffic.

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Post Thanks / Like

Please please please turn off strobes on the trail. You dont need them on trails; and you are blinding your oncoming cyclists. First all I can see is light; then all I can see is darkness. And my eyes dont adjust fast enough. Please - go to solid and point it down at the trail in front of you - not into oncoming cyclists eyes.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

No strobes on the trail please

And even with the steady light, be sure to dim it with your hand, or redirect it for oncoming traffic, especially when it's completely dark.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jhr View Post
    I'm actually hoping to adapt it for dynamo use (for the dynamo wheel I mentioned planning to build in the other thread) so I can sidestep the whole battery thing.
    My knowledge of electrical circuitry is not what it should be, but this sounds like a cool project. Any ideas how you'd make it work? I think dynamo hub output is AC and battery powered lights run on DC. Voltages are all a little different, etc.

Keep me posted on how it goes if you do try to wire it up!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cyclingfool View Post
    My knowledge of electrical circuitry is not what it should be, but this sounds like a cool project. Any ideas how you'd make it work? I think dynamo hub output is AC and battery powered lights run on DC. Voltages are all a little different, etc.

Keep me posted on how it goes if you do try to wire it up!
    That's a fairly trivial circuit; all LEDs run on DC, and the appropriate circuitry is in all modern dynamo lights (which have moved to LEDs).