Likes Likes:  17
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lighting suggestions for Hains Point, Rock Creek park?

Post Thanks / Like

Very pleased with my Nightrider Lumina 650. I use the medium of three intensities with great illumination. It also has a strobe mode for brighter weather. Comes with helmet and handlebar mounts. I've used both and prefer the latter.

Post Thanks / Like

I had stopped thinking about lighting last year once I got my dynamo hub and lighting setup installed, but since all that was stolen, I had to rethink my strategy. Pre-dynamo, I used a tactical flashlight with about 300 lumens (claimed) that I'd picked up for about $25 a few years ago. TerraLux was the name IIRC. It ran on 2 AA batteries which lasted a solid two evening commutes at high power. I used a 2Fish lockblock to mount it to the handlebars, and it worked pretty well. Just had to remember to bring my AA charger with me or charge at home.

This fall, as darkness approached, I got one of these Magic Shine knockoffs on Amazon. Less than $30 shipped. I still eventually want to build up a new wheel with dynohub and get a nice light again, but for now, I am quite pleased with the new light. It is much better than the flashlight I had been using, and should meet my needs nicely for riding in the dark this winter. I picked up a wide angle lens for it, too, but haven't tried it out yet. The light pattern as is seems acceptable, though I probably will experiment with the lens at some point soon.

The old flashlight might go on my helmet for the really dark months of winter.
    Last edited by cyclingfool; 10-09-2013 at 04:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a nitecore mt26, 800 lumens for 63.95. It is super bright and lasts 1.5 hrs on high, about 4 hours on med ium (500 lumens) . I attach it to a stem which is mounted on my handlebars. The flashight is held by QRs . Hard to describe but once I figure out how to post pics I will show you the setup. Works great and when I get to my destination theQRs allow me to detach it in a second.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

I love my Exposure lights.

http://use1.com/homepage/exposure-lights

Post Thanks / Like

Light & Motion Urban works for me. I have the 500. Easy on/off the hbars. Compact modular design. I also use it off the bike. Doubles as a flashlight. Fairly priced.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on NR Lumina 650. USB charging super handy. I even use it as a regular flashlight around the house. Just so darn handy.

Post Thanks / Like

Now that it's getting dark earlier, I think we should see if they have a version for 2 wheeled vehicles and everyone should get one:

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    You could probably get away with a 300 for what you want to do (cheaper).
    Yeah, I use a Niterider Lumina 350 light & love it. The new mounts are wonderful (the old ones were crap). And the light is light and I like the all-in-one-ness of it. I have a $20 Niterider Mako as a backup in case I forget to charge the main one (it fits to the same mount and uses AA batteries). I find 200-250 Lumens sufficient for up to 20-25mph on the W&OD. Sometimes if it's really dark (e.g. out near Leesburg at 4am with a cloudy sky) or if I'm riding on mtb trails I'll run the high power (350). If I was doing more off-road riding I would definitely helmet mount the light (and maybe go for a brighter model; the light is nice in the woods). Remember that the perceived brightness is not linearly related to lumens (logarithmic?) -- so [other things being equal] a 600L light does not appear "twice as bright" as a 300L light.

Whatever you do, cover your light for oncoming cyclists. Probably the thing that is most annoying about winter cycling are the jackholes running 900L lights that don't cover them / turn them down for oncoming cyclists. It's blinding (and simply dangerous).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kolohe View Post
    Now that it's getting dark earlier, I think we should see if they have a version for 2 wheeled vehicles and everyone should get one...
    Isn't that the Monkey Light?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cyclingfool View Post
    This fall, as darkness approached, I got one of these Magic Shine knockoffs on Amazon. Less than $30 shipped. I still eventually want to build up a new wheel with dynohub and get a nice light again, but for now, I am quite pleased with the new light. It is much better than the flashlight I had been using, and should meet my needs nicely for riding in the dark this winter. I picked up a wide angle lens for it, too, but haven't tried it out yet. The light pattern as is seems acceptable, though I probably will experiment with the lens at some point soon.

The old flashlight might go on my helmet for the really dark months of winter.
    I have one of these from a different site and it's worked great, but I've anecdotally heard about one case where the battery pack exploded while being charged, so I suggest some caution or at least common sense (at least don't leave the battery plugged in for long periods) to people considering them. I'm not sure they're all the same, so some of them might have more of a protection circuit in the battery pack. I'm actually hoping to adapt it for dynamo use (for the dynamo wheel I mentioned planning to build in the other thread) so I can sidestep the whole battery thing.
    Last edited by jhr; 10-10-2013 at 04:13 PM.