Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Progress on 15th Street Cycletrack

Post Thanks / Like

Default Progress on 15th Street Cycletrack

I haven't been on it lately and I was wondering how the work is progressing.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Rode the entire length of it on Saturday and nothing beyond patching some potholes appears to have been done. Didn't see any evidence that repaving is imminent. Very disappointing. Yesterday I had to head the same way north and resorted to taking 14th Street at N to avoid the bumpy ride.

*sigh*

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Workers were drilling the pavement closest to the curb on the cycletrack, just north of L St. It doesn't look like they are working on the entire block (L to M St.), just one section. I don't know if this is an unrelated project that just happens to be located next to the cycletrack and the work includes a minor improvement to the cycletrack. A couple weeks ago, there were large lighted traffic signs indicating that work was being done on the cycletrack. But those signs have been gone for a while. And then I saw the workers today with the jackhammers. So I don't really know what's going on, except that the cycletrack is temporarily unavailable on that block.

Maybe they are adding brick work to that block. If so, that's not really an improvement. More of an aesthetic change.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-10-16 12.32.02.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	3860

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

DDOT posted yesterday on Twitter that they expect to complete the resurfacing of the cycletrack by the end of the month. (Retweeted on The WashCycle.)

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like they were repaving the cycletrack between L and M St. after all. Someone posted this photo on the WashCycle Twitter acct. today:

https://twitter.com/PuckBuddys/statu...893824/photo/1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BXcLNteIYAEmy34.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	3946

This is the same block as in the photo I posted last week.

Post Thanks / Like

It's paved up to Mass and down as far as the CVS at K I think, maybe further, I don't quite recall.

Does anyone know if they are going to reinstall the plastic bollards or leave them off? I ask because I've seen a lot of confusion by drivers and today I explained to two that no, in fact it wasn't a parking lane (in fairness, English was not the first language of one couple). Meanwhile I also saw a guy on a cabi rightfully squabbling with a cab who was just hunkered down in the lane without a fare. The cabbies and some of the delivery trucks usage of it as their personal parking lanes I find appalling because I know that they know better.

DC has the "emergency no parking" signs out, but they're attached to the meters, which doesn't seem to help things. Maybe if they put a few cones running down the side of the lane adjacent to traffic, the point would be more noticable?

Post Thanks / Like

DDOT has been extending a large middle finger to all of us who use the cycletrack for the duration of this project

I advise all of you to do what I've been doing - pretend that DDOT did the right thing and closed the cycletrack for the repaving. I've been doing 14th SB (lovely flat tire from the constructiong this morning) and taking a lane on 15th NB. These are both far from ideal, but the cycletrack is NOT SAFE right now. Don't use it.

And yes, the bollards are coming back.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been to 15th St. this week, but in recent weeks (before there was even work being done on the cycletrack), drivers were using the western-most traffic lane of 15th St., between K and L, as a parking lane. The entire block would be occupied by parked cars throughout the day. I never saw any lane closure signs anywhere or anything else indicating that people were allowed to take over a regular car traffic lane. And yet, there they were, day after day. I saw police officers nearby and they didn't seem to mind or notice. Some of them were parked in that lane too. They left the cycletrack free and clear, but not that car traffic lane.

Maybe I didn't see the temporary signs, but I don't think there were any.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PotomacCyclist View Post
    Maybe I didn't see the temporary signs, but I don't think there were any.
    There are some no parking signs, but they're the "the person who put these up can call and get you towed" signs, not the "you get a ticket for parking here" signs. No ticket means no enforcement. DDOT doesn't care, so nothing's been done.

Post Thanks / Like

Literally as I started typing, I looked out my window and saw a black vehicle park there (in front of Carribou). Argh. I wonder if it's a crime to print fake DC parking tickets? I'll start putting them on people's windshields. Or maybe I can just write notes "you're in a cycletrack and the sign next to you reads no parking, what are you thinking?"