Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DC to Annapolis

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone been over Governors Bridge recently?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    I'm a very likely yes mostly to discourage Steve O.
    I'm a maybe, mostly to offset Judd's effect on Steve O.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Smith View Post
    Anyone been over Governors Bridge recently?
    This report from last year said that the bridge was unsafe even for pedestrians or bikers: http://www.capitalgazette.com/bowie_...413-story.html. But I haven't been out that way myself.

If you follow Nadine Beck or Lynn Salvo on Strava, they took a more direct route to Annapolis a few weeks ago. Here's Nadine's ride: https://www.strava.com/activities/1055325577.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a link to a rough route in Google. I'll refine it when I build it in Strava this weekend. It's about 44 miles from next to Nat's field to downtown Annapolis and 67 if we ride up to the BWI MARC station.

Anticipate departing from the field/parking lot east of Nat's field at 8am. The Nat's are out of town that day, so unless there's a concert or something going on at the stadium that I'm unaware of parking in the area shouldn't be an issue. I'm leaning towards riding up to BWI (last train departs for Union at 5:50pm) but again nothing's set in stone and please if anyone see's a portion of the route that doesn't look like a good idea, say something. From what I found online, Governor's Bridge will remain closed until sometime in 2019.

I'll do a headcount next week for those who's planning to attend.

No hypothermia on this ride, but hyperthermia could be an option...feel free to grab my seatpost (sts) especially if I get wobbly

4. Likes ChampionTier liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It looks like a mistake on the Tour de Fat volunteer page might have sent my 22nd into flux. I may be able to do this on the 23rd after all.

Now I'm afraid the Google link might not be showing the route correctly on my device. Are we still looking at 100 miles for this? (Or is there a Century splinter group?)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
    It looks like a mistake on the Tour de Fat volunteer page might have sent my 22nd into flux. I may be able to do this on the 23rd after all.

Now I'm afraid the Google link might not be showing the route correctly on my device. Are we still looking at 100 miles for this? (Or is there a Century splinter group?)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Updated Strava Route. There are two options: ride out to Annapolis & back, or take the Balt-Annapolis Trail up to the BWI MARC station and catch the train back to DC. From Nat's Field to Annapolis is ~45 miles and 68 if we rode up to BWI.

That's the long way of saying about 90 from the start point if we do an out and back and about 70 if we take the train. Of course there is the third option of riding back from BWI creating a Washapomore Loop which would be 100+ miles depending on the route.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AFHokie View Post
    Updated Strava Route. There are two options: ride out to Annapolis & back, or take the Balt-Annapolis Trail up to the BWI MARC station and catch the train back to DC. From Nat's Field to Annapolis is ~45 miles and 68 if we rode up to BWI.

That's the long way of saying about 90 from the start point if we do an out and back and about 70 if we take the train. Of course there is the third option of riding back from BWI creating a Washapomore Loop which would be 100+ miles depending on the route.
    Say we do the 70 mile route: having never ridden on a MARC train, is there a chance for casual beer & chit chat, etc. on the ride home? O&B to Annapolis also sounds cool if we were to take a breather somewhere in town for a bite to eat. I'll be on 2 weeks of leave and I'm just happy that I finally have the time to go out and meet some new people!

Post Thanks / Like

I am all for the out and back with a meal stop! (I bike therefore I food). I want dem miles. I think I can crack 100 going to/from Nats. Besides, we can have a celebratory beer at the end in Navy Yard (or elsewhere in DC).

Oh dear, this is sounding more and more like I'm in.

9. Likes Judd, ChampionTier liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So we're now in the lead-up to this weekend, and I need to start settling some scheduling. I would like to join, but it would be good to know what the final verdict is.

I'm inclined for the out and back (aside from wanting to bag the century, it removes and risk of MARC kerffufles stranding us on a Sunday night), but if the consensus is 70 I can factor in some riding before we meet.

Also, I'm hearing rumors of it being hot on Sunday (surprise suprise). As a tool for training, I'm not deterred. However, if its a factor that might cancel/postphone this, it would be good to know for sure this is happening before I wipe my schedule for this.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default DC to Annapolis

I'm tentatively in. I have a wedding on Saturday, so we'll just see how much mental energy I have on Sunday morning. I think my preference would be to just do the out-and-back, to avoid sitting on a train drenched in sweat. Plus, if we do an out-and-back then I can jump straight into the pool from my bike. And of course, if that's what happens, you all are welcome to take a pool detour on your way home.

**edit**

We also have enough leftover beer to inebriate a small country, so...
    Last edited by TwoWheelsDC; 07-18-2017 at 06:47 PM.

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Details, please:

Start time
    Start location
    Final verdict on what the ride will be