Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DC to Annapolis

jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default DC to Annapolis

I get to ride DC to Annapolis tomorrow morning (Hooray for a one-car family with scheduling conflicts!) and I'm looking for a route. Google has one, and I got two from another forum member, but wanted to see if anyone else had input. I'm terrible at following directions on a bike, so the simpler the route, the better. But I'll be riding during rush hour, and prefer not being killed, so traffic is something of a concern, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Great circle northern route to Bowie an option? A lot longer than going straight through DC and central PG county, but fairly pleasant roadways for the most part. This is sort of a combo of my commuting route to DC and my favored route from Greenbelt to Bowie. After Bowie, I'm less confident...
    http://goo.gl/maps/XwL3V

Post Thanks / Like

That might be doable. I think I'm going to have to leave earlier than I had originally thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    That might be doable. I think I'm going to have to leave earlier than I had originally thought.
    I'd plan on three hours each way with some stops? There's a Walgreens at the intersection of RaceTrack Road and Annapolis Road in Bowie that might be a good midpoint stop for drinks and calories. That stretch around where you have to get on Route three for a half mile or so just east of there might be a little hairy. I'd suggest preriding the route on Google street view to to be mentally prepared?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm only going to ride one way, so it's not quite so bad. And I'm somewhat familiar with Route 3. Familiar enough to be apprehensive about riding on it, but it should be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

You're not on Route 3 for long and the shoulder is wide. It's not that bad.

Post Thanks / Like

I mostly followed Google. It was a good ride, though most of the roads are not entirely bike friendly. Traffic was light enough that it wasn't a big deal.

Thanks for the advice, even when I didn't follow it.

8. Likes Greenbelt, Rod Smith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad that someone asked this... I moved to DC a few weeks ago and was planning to make one of my first biggish rides to Annapolis to visit the Velo-Orange shop, with the justification that I could save a few bucks on postage for little parts that I've been hemming and hawing on ordering for a few months. Bookmarked for later use (and if anyone else is interested in making the trek, let me know...).

Post Thanks / Like

It's probably not worth it to save on shipping - it's not the greatest ride in the world. i was thinking about trying again sometime with a different route, but I think it might have to be a bit longer to be more pleasant.

I mean, I don't want to discourage you, but I did the ride because I grew up in Annapolis and wanted to try biking home instead of driving. If I had done it to save a few dollars I would have been pretty disappointed.

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a little late to the party, but here are two rides I have done starting at the New Carrolton Metro station and starting from Arlington.

12. Likes guga31bb liked this post