Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gaining Access to Parking Garage?

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by americancyclo View Post
    Ahh, I have two of those actually! But I have five bikes I use regularly. First world problems.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to stop and show the guard my badge, then ride down a steep ramp into the garage itself. The entry/exit is pretty narrow, but there's room for a bike if a car is exiting. I don't really have any complaints about the garage, except that it can be hard to access if delivery trucks are moving around, but I will say that the employees at my building who use the garage have to be the biggest collection of idiots I've ever seen. I mean, they're probably smart people, but being underground must do something to their brains where they think they are the only people in the garage. I think the problem is that the garage is one level, absolutely cavernous, and gets a shitload of cars packed into it...we even have a valet service to manage it all...but the valet people aren't always situationally aware and they don't park every car, so it's Thunderdome down there.

Post Thanks / Like

My building has paid daily parking with a street elevator. The wheel bender rack is on P4, and I take the street access elevator down with my bike, lock it up, then take a different elevator up to the basement level where the gym and showers are located. There's an employee at the exit collecting money, but I don't go by there when I take the elevator.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    How do you gain access to your parking garage? Is your garage secure? Do you have to show your badge to the attendant? Do you have to swipe in? Is there enough room for both cars and bikes to enter and to leave?

What do you recommend? What are lessons learned? Is there a good way for bicycles to enter and leave garages without cars hitting bicycles right there at the entrance, as bicycles stop and have to deal with the attendant?

Thoughts and input would be appreciated.
    Although I'm a federal employee, I work in a non-federal building, with limited security. I enter using the same ramp as cars, and the only issue I have with cars at the entrance is that I want to stop Strava before I head into the bowels of the earth. I've learned to pull to one side or the other, rather than trying to do it in the middle of the lane, because the attendant gets frustrated with me. (funny - he doesn't get frustrated with the cars who stop to chat...)

As indicated, garage is attended, but no need for me to stop as a cyclist - no permits or ID required. Cars must display permit. The security is adequate to dissuade most interlopers, and I am not aware of any security incidents in the garage.

The garage has separate entrance and exit lanes and doors, and they are nominally wide enough for a car in each direction, though it would get really tight if they met on the curve of the ramp. I've never had a problem with a vehicle headed in the same direction, but it can get sketchy when I'm leaving and someone is entering, as they want to drive down the middle of the ramp. The bigger challenge is the amount of pedestrian traffic on the street, as I'm topping the ramp. Cars trigger a 'vehicle exiting' sign most of the time, but I don't think I do. Also, most cars want to exit by crossing the street to an alley, which involves them heading the wrong way on the one-way street for a short distance. To be fair, I usually stay on the sidewalk to the corner. Technically this probably violates the no bikes on the sidewalk in the central business district, though I've never quite known how that should work for entering and exiting my building (I'm the second bldg in from the corner, and I maintain no more than walking speed until I'm on the street).

When I'm at my agency's HQ, I can also park in the garage -- I have the appropriate permit. There I do have to show a badge and swipe, but the entry has excellent sight lines, and is deep enough to accommodate several cars and bikes. Some of the guards direct me to blow off the swipe, as I can clearly ride around the barriers. Others have me swipe. I have had problems with the swipe to exit, so I tend to roll around it. The key to safety, I think, is good sight lines. These are quite lacking in most underground garages. My one lesson is to do whatever I can to maximize those sight lines, which means lane positioning can be critical.

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "a minefield of dumb games and social cliques badly disguised as a forum for DC bike advocacy."
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CPTJohnC View Post
    I have had problems with the swipe to exit.
    Dumb question. I understand why swipe to enter: they only want authorized individuals in the building. But Swipe to exit for a bicycle? Have they articulated why they have you do that?

Yes to sight lines. Had a meeting with the office cyclists and that was in fact one of the concerns. The entrance is a fish hook right, and the sight line is frequently blocked by the loading dock.
    Last edited by rcannon100; 09-27-2013 at 08:27 AM. Reason: DAMN YOU CHERRYDALE

Post Thanks / Like

How do you gain access to your parking garage? Just ride past the lift gate & straight down the same decline the cars drive down.

Is your garage secure? Not in the sense that you have to badge in or anything but lets just say there is a folding bike down there sitting in the middle of the garage unlocked and has been there for three or four weeks untouched now. (Sting bike?)

Is there enough room for both cars and bikes to enter and to leave? Yeah I can bike around them but usually I wait because I roll down the hill faster than they drive it.

What do you recommend? What are lessons learned? Is there a good way for bicycles to enter and leave garages without cars hitting bicycles right there at the entrance, as bicycles stop and have to deal with the attendant? Stay alert and problem solved.