Likes Likes:  79
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  2
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 States and 13 Colonies this Saturday

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 50 States and 13 Colonies this Saturday

The 50 States ride is this Saturday.

I will be attending for the first time. I'm looking for a tcx download of the route. I presume the route doesn't change from year to year? I think I have found a good one or two on RideWithGPS.com but if someone on the forum has one they can point me to that would be great.

Also, I'm looking for a group to join on the ride or if someone wants to join me please send me a PM.

Cheers,

Kathy

Post Thanks / Like

They do change the route a little bit from year to year. Last year they released the route the a day or two before the ride.

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Here are my Strava and my garminconnect entries from 2012. I'll be a bike marshal agin this year and still haven't seen the final route.

Post Thanks / Like

You won't have trouble finding people to ride with. Groups form/fall apart spontaneously throughout the ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a printer friendly cue sheet from last year's ride. It's not fancy, just in MS Excel. Message me your email and I'll send it. Washington Ave and Minnesota Ave were the biggest fails I saw last year where groups went the wrong way and were never seen or heard from again. University Terrace at Mile 60 is just mean.

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

I just got the pdf of this years 50 States route and will try to map it this evening. Just looking at the beginning versus last year, there are significant changes.

Post Thanks / Like

I emailed WABA yesterday and they responded that they will email the gpx route to all who registered:
    "We have the ride mapped on Map My Ride and will be emailing out the GPX files exported from that program tomorrow to all who registered for the ride- so stay tuned! "

Post Thanks / Like

As usual, Gypsybug comes through with a set of excellent tips for preparing for the 50 States ride!

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone had any success downloading the gpx file that WABA provided on MapMyRide (the world's worst website)? It does not appear to be downloading correctly and I have been unable to transfer the gpx file to my Garmin or RideWithGPS. Something downloads (about 1 KB) but neither my Garmin nor the RWG recognizes the file. Very annoying. I sent an email to WABA asking them to also post the ride to RideWithGPS but am not holding my breath.

Update: I was able to download the file using a different web browser (Safari).
    Last edited by KLizotte; 09-18-2013 at 11:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    Has anyone had any success downloading the gpx file that WABA provided on MapMyRide (the world's worst website)? It does not appear to be downloading correctly and I have been unable to transfer the gpx file to my Garmin or RideWithGPS. Something downloads (about 1 KB) but neither my Garmin nor the RWG recognizes the file. Very annoying. I sent an email to WABA asking them to also post the ride to RideWithGPS but am not holding my breath.

Update: I was able to download the file using a different web browser (Safari).
    WABA sent a link to the 2013 50 states ride by email yesterday (9/18), did you download that one (not the 2011 version posted on the event website).

K - I'll be riding with my wife & son if you want to join us. I'll be on my pink fuji with 80's paint job: