Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: W&OD Bollards at Maple Ave

Post Thanks / Like

Default W&OD Bollards at Maple Ave

Forgive me if this is old news as I haven't been out that way very often recently, but how long have the bollards at Maple Ave been down? I noticed the collar(d)s are there but the bollards appear to have been broken off (the collar(d)s look damaged) instead of just removed with the bollards lying next to the trail on the Whole Foods side of Maple Ave.

i thought they were put in because of one of the more recent trail-drivers, but without them there what is preventing the "occasional" person from accidentally driving onto the trail? Well, other than awareness and an understanding of common sense

Post Thanks / Like

The one on the whole foods side was put in recently, but I noticed a few days ago the were both removed. It almost looks like they were pulled out and broken.

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

A couple of years ago, as president of RUB (Remove Useless Bollards), and working with Arlington County to get rid of them virtually everywhere, I contacted someone from the W&OD. I was told that they removed all the bollards 10-15 years ago as a safety measure--that they determined the danger of the bollards to the cyclists was greater than the risk of someone driving onto the trail. They were removed from the entire length of the trail.
    I was disturbed to notice the bollards at Maple, because that seems to go against their general policy.

I do not like them, and I hope that the collars are removed and the crossing is returned to its bollardless state.

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

I found the original. Paul McCray of the NVRPA responded to one of my blog rants about bollards with this on Feb. 9 2010:

"We have had a number of incidents on the W&OD Trail when a car has driven up the path, usually by mistake. To my knowledge though we've never had damage beyond some ruts in the turf beside the trail and never had a trail user injured due to a vehicle on the path. We took out our bollards and gates 15+ years ago just to eliminate any chance of accidents and to ease access for police, fire, rescue and maintenance."

Of course, there was the recent injury on the trail from the crazy/impaired woman in Vienna. IMO, one serious incident in two decades + does not warrant a change in policy.

Post Thanks / Like

That doesn't explain why this put there, then days later haphazardly removed.

m

Post Thanks / Like

Without causing this thread to sidetrack (my opinion: in this spot I think the use of flexpost bollards having reflective parts was mostly okay but needed diamonds painted around them on the trail), I was trying to figure out whether this was an act of vandalism or not.

It seems like vandalism in this case. That said, now it is more dangerous because the collards will be invisible instead of the reflective flexpost bollards. I hope they are repaired and properly installed (with diamonds painted).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    Without causing this thread to sidetrack (my opinion: in this spot I think the use of flexpost bollards having reflective parts was mostly okay but needed diamonds painted around them on the trail), I was trying to figure out whether this was an act of vandalism or not.

It seems like vandalism in this case. That said, now it is more dangerous because the collards will be invisible instead of the reflective flexpost bollards. I hope they are repaired and properly installed (with diamonds painted).
    If they want a bollard there, I think the trail needs widening at the intersection. Agree that the collard is worse than the bollard.

Post Thanks / Like

Saw this on Sunday, seems like whoever removed them would not leave them in the bushes to sit for an extended time. Maybe I should go pick them up and decorate my house with bollards. Although, my one year old might hit the bollard while he is riding his Thomas train underscoring their disastrous effects.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    I hope they are repaired and properly installed (with diamonds painted).
    No. I hope that they are removed entirely, which they should be. They haven't been there for 15+ years; there's no need for them now--particularly in light of the fact that trail usage is going up. FHWA guidance discourages the use of bollards as a default option. Long before we install bollards other solutions need to be tried, such as signage, paint treatments or other design changes. We don't put telephone poles in the middle of the street; we should not put posts in the middle of the trail. Period.
    (FHWA guidance is here: http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/...rds_access.cfm)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    No. I hope that they are removed entirely, which they should be. They haven't been there for 15+ years; there's no need for them now--particularly in light of the fact that trail usage is going up. FHWA guidance discourages the use of bollards as a default option. Long before we install bollards other solutions need to be tried, such as signage, paint treatments or other design changes. We don't put telephone poles in the middle of the street; we should not put posts in the middle of the trail. Period.
    (FHWA guidance is here: http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/...rds_access.cfm)
    The bollard on the side of whole foods was new, the one on the other side has been there as long as I can remember...