Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: What is your cycling motto?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    When I was racing my motto was "start slow and taper off".

Since my racing days are long gone... its not a joke anymore. More like words to live by.
    That's always been my motto. When I was in school, not only was I chosen last for every team, but the guy chosen just before me was unable to walk very well due to polio. (True story!) One of the things I like about biking is that I don't feel obligated to try for speed, just for getting there in the end.

2. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    That's always been my motto. When I was in school, not only was I chosen last for every team, but the guy chosen just before me was unable to walk very well due to polio. (True story!) One of the things I like about biking is that I don't feel obligated to try for speed, just for getting there in the end.
    That's hilarious. Me too! I was always dead last, there was another guy who had a disability (I don't know what it was?). But he couldn't walk normally and would still get picked before me. Rightfully so, I was pathetic at sports. I found out about running and swimming at about age 16, biking seriously came a couple years later. Started doing triathlons and never looked back! Looking back its because I was still growing, gangly and uncoordinated. I grew so much in my freshman year of college I had to raise my saddle height.

4. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Ice Cream!

6. Likes Amalitza, kwarkentien, Sunyata, Birru, Steve O and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"I wonder if I left the stove on I hope I can make this light LOOK A SQUIRREL why don't more people call their passes dammit random snatches of half-remembered songs I wonder whose turn it is to fold laundry tonight ARGH BRIGHT LIGHTS BLINDING ME I wonder if I pulled anything out of the freezer to cook tonight etc. etc. etc."

Post Thanks / Like

"You'll regret it if you drive instead."

9. Likes streetsmarts, kwarkentien, Emm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Every day I commute I tell myself, "this is better than metro." When the weather is real shitty i make sure to repeat it out loud to everyone I see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    I think I was the guy chosen before you, except I didn't have polio.

Post Thanks / Like

"don't die don't die don't die don't die"

I remember it used to be "Yay! Sunshine!" but that when I was smarter and mostly just leisurely toodled along bike paths in nice weather, with much lower risk of crashing*, lungs exploding, freezing to death, or being run over by cars than the stupid things I do now. So, um, thanks? for the inspiration, bike family.

*there was still the occasional crashing, to be totally honest here. In addition to also being picked last in gym class (though I had no classmates with polio to compete against) I was, accurately, voted "most clumsy" by my senior class in high school (while others were getting honors such as "most likely to succeed", "most popular", and "most likely to go to jail"), so that's just to be expected.

15. Likes streetsmarts, rcannon100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"Just keep spinning!" in the voice of Ellen DeGeneres as Dory in Finding Nemo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk