Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: APS Superintendent Celebrates Biking to Work

rcannon100 is online now Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "a minefield of dumb games and social cliques badly disguised as a forum for DC bike advocacy."
    Post Thanks / Like

Default APS Superintendent Celebrates Biking to Work

This tweet from the APS Superintendent

@SuptPKM @APSVirginia Washington-Lee students practicing #healthy lifestyles while #biking to school! pic.twitter.com/tOyf534AQQ

It's true. I go by that bike rack regularly and it is well used! (Now if we could only get the parent car drivers to drive a little better)

Post Thanks / Like

oh wow, they even get decent racks. our school has wheelbenders.

Post Thanks / Like

My kid's school has nothing! I'm locking up to a light post when I drop him off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    This tweet from the APS Superintendent <snip>
    It's true. I go by that bike rack regularly and it is well used! (Now if we could only get the parent car drivers to drive a little better)
    Cynical me wonders how much of this bike traffic is students, and how much of it is employees at the school? Either way, the full bike racks are a net positive, but I don't run across many cycling HS students in my travels. Cycling food service, janitorial and other support staff though? That, I'd guess, is pretty common.

"a minefield of dumb games and social cliques badly disguised as a forum for DC bike advocacy."
    Post Thanks / Like

Both. I have a kid a YTown and W&L. The stream of cyclists is constant. The diff is that teachers frequently keep their bikes in their classrooms.

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    Both. I have a kid a YTown and W&L. The stream of cyclists is constant. The diff is that teachers frequently keep their bikes in their classrooms.
    Speaking of, where's Jason B?

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CPTJohnC View Post
    Cynical me wonders how much of this bike traffic is students, and how much of it is employees at the school? Either way, the full bike racks are a net positive, but I don't run across many cycling HS students in my travels. Cycling food service, janitorial and other support staff though? That, I'd guess, is pretty common.
    Clearly we need more racks.

Wouldn't the ideal be to have everyone who can (students, teachers, admins, staff, visitors) bike?

Which reminds me, there's been discussion, with supporting research, on how teenagers make bad decisions over in another relevant group I'm a part of. Somehow, this seems to be leading to the conclusion that students shouldn't be expected to bike alone. <With no irony, someone mentioned that they received some of the info when their teen was getting a drivers license. Because we'd never question the propriety of teens driving, but teens biking OMG!!!>

I would like to respond with research about how biking is better for teens, how proper bike education for teens is effective, etc. Anyone have that on hand that they could direct me to? TIA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Which reminds me, there's been discussion, with supporting research, on how teenagers make bad decisions over in another relevant group I'm a part of. Somehow, this seems to be leading to the conclusion that students shouldn't be expected to bike alone. <With no irony, someone mentioned that they received some of the info when their teen was getting a drivers license. Because we'd never question the propriety of teens driving, but teens biking OMG!!!>
    Better to have them running over cyclists in their sports cars than being outside.

Post Thanks / Like

Only the obvious -> It's exercise.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CPTJohnC View Post
    I see a lot of kids riding to Swanson MS, although they're almost always riding the sidewalk and not in the bike lane, but whatevs, that's probably safer for younger kids. I also pass a decent number of older kids on the Custis that seem to be headed to W&L or St. Ann's.