Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Metro Rush Hour?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Metro Rush Hour?

So, I'm sure this thread has come up a bit about metro's rush hour service hours for bikes, and I apologize if it has been addressed.

Does anyone else feel that having rush hour service all the way until 7PM makes sense?

I understand having the rush hour times. I would never imagine taking a bike on the blue or orange line around 5:30, but does it need to go all the way till 7, why not 6:30?

I feel like a majority of the rush hour traffic is over by then.

I got stopped at 6:45 today at Archives station, there was barely anyone in the station. I know, rules are rules...but does anyone else agree with cutting down the time a bit?

Thanks

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, it's not about a particular station, but about the trains and the system in general. The few times I use Metro to commute, I get on heading west at either Rosslyn or Foggy Bottom. Those trains can still be crowded well past 7 pm.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

I rarely take Metro, but when I have it's been West on the Orange line around 7pm. Never seen more than one car crowded.

I agree the times make little sense. Alas, a lot with Metro makes little sense. The good news from Archive station is that you could bike for 15 minutes in whatever direction you were going and it'd probably be a nice ride. Plus you'd save on Metro fare...

Post Thanks / Like

Rush Hour hours exist so Metro can charge higher fares during that period. So Metro defines it broadly, and not really based on actually traffic.

Maybe you could argue for bikes being allowed during certain times that don't line up with rush hour, but that could be more confusing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baiskeli View Post
    Rush Hour hours exist so Metro can charge higher fares during that period. So Metro defines it broadly, and not really based on actually traffic.

Maybe you could argue for bikes being allowed during certain times that don't line up with rush hour, but that could be more confusing.
    The ban on bikes does not line up with Metro's "peak fare" timing now.

Post Thanks / Like

If you really want to drive Metro nuts, attempt to carry your bike on the escalator when their elevator is out. They will go nuts. I always toy with riding Metro in late hours, but then I realize the 20 minute wait isn't going to save me more than 10 minutes for $5 of my money. So I always end up biking.

The last time I took my bike on the train I rode the Yellow up to Metro Center. Then saw 45 minute delays for the Red Line. I was going up by Takoma Park and said screw it. The ride only took me 25 minutes or so.

7. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    ELITE Rod Smith ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do find the next bus app useful, as there are times where that will get me home faster.

9. Likes Riley Casey liked this post
    mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baiskeli View Post

I'd like some evidence before accepting the premise that metro considers rider confusion as a factor when making decisions.

11. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    I'd like some evidence before accepting the premise that metro considers rider confusion as a factor when making decisions.
    Evidence suggests that they do consider confusion as a factor, and that they utilize a positive correlation: more confusion = better policy.

13. Likes mstone, Dickie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terpfan View Post

The last time I took my bike on the train I rode the Yellow up to Metro Center. Then saw 45 minute delays for the Red Line. I was going up by Takoma Park and said screw it. The ride only took me 25 minutes or so.

If you don't mind me asking, what route do you take from Metro Center to Takoma Park? I bike from Takoma to Alexandria in the morning, so when I bike back, I'm usually a bit too worn down to go all the way back. I come down 11th st mostly.

That's the main reason why I take the metro back.