Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hearing on Plans to Extended Custis Trail Along I-66?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hearing on Plans to Extended Custis Trail Along I-66?

For the FFX residents, you already know about this, right?

http://fabb-bikes.blogspot.com/2013/...l-to-i-66.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    For the FFX residents, you already know about this, right?

http://fabb-bikes.blogspot.com/2013/...l-to-i-66.html
    Wait a minute, I must still be dreaming: I-495 trail, extended I-66 (Custis) trail that will access Fair Oaks and much farther west, an actual Route 1 trail, Dulles Toll Road trail, a Potomac Heritage National Scenic trail, and a Mount Vernon trail northern extension all planned?! That Fairfax Co Countywide Trails Plan map is probably one of the most beautiful things I have ever laid my eyes on.

...again, is this for real? The caffeine has not kicked in yet today.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    Wait a minute, I must still be dreaming: I-495 trail, extended I-66 (Custis) trail that will access Fair Oaks and much farther west, an actual Route 1 trail, Dulles Toll Road trail, a Potomac Heritage National Scenic trail, and a Mount Vernon trail northern extension all planned?! That Fairfax Co Countywide Trails Plan map is probably one of the most beautiful things I have ever laid my eyes on.

...again, is this for real? The caffeine has not kicked in yet today.
    It's a plan, not a funding source.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    It's a plan, not a funding source.
    You can be pretty confident that the CIA will have some strong feedback about the Mt Vernon extension. I'll be stunned if it happens in my lifetime.

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Post Thanks / Like

RE: Extending the MVT north

Not everything needs to be paved with a bike path. I invite you some time to hike the Potomac Heritage trail, north / up river of TR island. You can also access it from Windy Run, Donaldson Run, Pimmit Run, Gulf Branch, and Turkey Run. It is an amazingly gorgeous park - a bit of a billy-goat trail. Filled with cliffs, water falls, birds, and wild animals. (It is also highly subject to river floods)

We have a bike path running paralleled on the far side of the river (C&O, and CCT). We have the Custis reaching west to the WOD. And we have bike lanes on Military to Key Bridge.

I love the bike trails in our area - but we dont need to plow through and pave every nature park, particularly when there already exists ample alternative paths.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    I love the bike trails in our area - but we dont need to plow through and pave every nature park, particularly when there already exists ample alternative paths.
    It would be nice if those trails were open to bikes...

Post Thanks / Like

I think a lot of people would disagree with the characterization of local bike facilities as "ample". There are real transportation needs that are currently unmet.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

There are some great opportunities aside from trails through parks - a trail along I495 (where the power lines are?) would vastly improve access from Annandale. Each time I ride over the Gallows Rd bridge over 495 it occurs to me what a good place that would be for a trail.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    There are some great opportunities aside from trails through parks - a trail along I495 (where the power lines are?) would vastly improve access from Annandale. Each time I ride over the Gallows Rd bridge over 495 it occurs to me what a good place that would be for a trail.
    The key is identifying right of way. The parks are existing public land, the power line rights-of-way generally aren't. (And utilities are generally unwilling to allow trails unless required by the original easement.) So while there may be downsides to running trails in parks, the alternative for an extensive trail system is probably a much lengthier and expensive eminent domain process which realistically won't happen while most of us are still alive.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    There are real transportation needs that are currently unmet.
    An extended MVT that runs along the river, and access to it from Spout Run, would provide a much better connection for a lot of North Arlington, and probably ease congestion on the Custis.