Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Hearing on Plans to Extended Custis Trail Along I-66?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,699
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Hearing on Plans to Extended Custis Trail Along I-66?

    For the FFX residents, you already know about this, right?

    http://fabb-bikes.blogspot.com/2013/...l-to-i-66.html

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Tukwila, WA
    Posts
    2,192
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    For the FFX residents, you already know about this, right?

    http://fabb-bikes.blogspot.com/2013/...l-to-i-66.html
    Wait a minute, I must still be dreaming: I-495 trail, extended I-66 (Custis) trail that will access Fair Oaks and much farther west, an actual Route 1 trail, Dulles Toll Road trail, a Potomac Heritage National Scenic trail, and a Mount Vernon trail northern extension all planned?! That Fairfax Co Countywide Trails Plan map is probably one of the most beautiful things I have ever laid my eyes on.

    ...again, is this for real? The caffeine has not kicked in yet today.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,342
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    Wait a minute, I must still be dreaming: I-495 trail, extended I-66 (Custis) trail that will access Fair Oaks and much farther west, an actual Route 1 trail, Dulles Toll Road trail, a Potomac Heritage National Scenic trail, and a Mount Vernon trail northern extension all planned?! That Fairfax Co Countywide Trails Plan map is probably one of the most beautiful things I have ever laid my eyes on.

    ...again, is this for real? The caffeine has not kicked in yet today.
    It's a plan, not a funding source.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Capitol Hill
    Posts
    1,430
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    It's a plan, not a funding source.
    You can be pretty confident that the CIA will have some strong feedback about the Mt Vernon extension. I'll be stunned if it happens in my lifetime.

  5. #5
    rcannon100's Avatar
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Team Slacker
    Posts
    4,558
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    RE: Extending the MVT north

    Not everything needs to be paved with a bike path. I invite you some time to hike the Potomac Heritage trail, north / up river of TR island. You can also access it from Windy Run, Donaldson Run, Pimmit Run, Gulf Branch, and Turkey Run. It is an amazingly gorgeous park - a bit of a billy-goat trail. Filled with cliffs, water falls, birds, and wild animals. (It is also highly subject to river floods)

    We have a bike path running paralleled on the far side of the river (C&O, and CCT). We have the Custis reaching west to the WOD. And we have bike lanes on Military to Key Bridge.

    I love the bike trails in our area - but we dont need to plow through and pave every nature park, particularly when there already exists ample alternative paths.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Leesburg, VA
    Posts
    1,435
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    I love the bike trails in our area - but we dont need to plow through and pave every nature park, particularly when there already exists ample alternative paths.
    It would be nice if those trails were open to bikes...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,342
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think a lot of people would disagree with the characterization of local bike facilities as "ample". There are real transportation needs that are currently unmet.

  8. #8
    lordofthemark's Avatar
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    3,411
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    There are some great opportunities aside from trails through parks - a trail along I495 (where the power lines are?) would vastly improve access from Annandale. Each time I ride over the Gallows Rd bridge over 495 it occurs to me what a good place that would be for a trail.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,342
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    There are some great opportunities aside from trails through parks - a trail along I495 (where the power lines are?) would vastly improve access from Annandale. Each time I ride over the Gallows Rd bridge over 495 it occurs to me what a good place that would be for a trail.
    The key is identifying right of way. The parks are existing public land, the power line rights-of-way generally aren't. (And utilities are generally unwilling to allow trails unless required by the original easement.) So while there may be downsides to running trails in parks, the alternative for an extensive trail system is probably a much lengthier and expensive eminent domain process which realistically won't happen while most of us are still alive.

  10. #10
    dasgeh's Avatar
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,788
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    There are real transportation needs that are currently unmet.
    An extended MVT that runs along the river, and access to it from Spout Run, would provide a much better connection for a lot of North Arlington, and probably ease congestion on the Custis.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •