Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I finally had my first minor bike crash

Post Thanks / Like

Default I finally had my first minor bike crash

OK, after 3+ years of frequent biking to work I had my first crash. More like a "I fell off my bike while moving" than a crash. Only a few blocks of my 15-mile round trip is commute is on a sidewalk. I wiped out in Herndon on Van Buren sidewalk. Moved into the grass to give a runner some room and hit a ditch, couldn't get back up on the sidewalk (concrete was lifted up and had a big lip) and went over into the dirt. I didn't even need a band-aid. No bike damage that I can see.

It makes me a little grumpy that I was on the sidewalk to avoid holding up traffic on the narrow 2 lane stretch of Van Buren. I think the road is safer, but I'll be honked at for sure. All those drivers who cut through Herndon love taking these two lane roads but hate to be slowed down. boo hoo

2. Dislikes vvill disliked this post
    jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Serves you right for being nice to people.

Glad you're okay.

Post Thanks / Like

Then that makes two of us this morning - I wiped out on the nutrocker boards chicane (MVT, by Roosevelt Island). It was just a little too slick and I leaned into it a bit too far and down I went.

Rode the rest of the way into the office, and as soon as I got off the bike I discovered that I can't seem to put any pressure on my right leg without a considerable amount of pain.

Alas, will be sag wagon-ing it home this afternoon.

Post Thanks / Like

Ouch, glad you're both relatively ok. I almost had my first head-on crash this morning thinks to some numbnuts going the wrong way on Crystal Drive this morning. Seriously, I will never understand why anyone, much less someone with aerobars and a Prevail helmet (i.e. someone that should know better), would think going the wrong way down a bike lane in heavy traffic is a good idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats why I never ride on the sidewalk. Glad you're ok. I'm familiar with that stretch of road; its certainly narrow and heavily trafficked.

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bilsko View Post
    Then that makes two of us this morning - I wiped out on the nutrocker boards chicane (MVT, by Roosevelt Island). It was just a little too slick and I leaned into it a bit too far and down I went.
    Oh no! Is the bike okay??

8. Likes Hancockbs, consularrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vvill View Post
    Oh no! Is the bike okay??
    Bike appears to be fine - I think I'm the one who absorbed the shock of the fall. Right leg is pretty sore, but I can move everything well enough so I'm pretty confident nothing is broken. But it does hurt quite a bit to put weight on it, so I'm probably going to have to spend a couple days mending. More time to look at the pictures coming out of Eurobike, right?

10. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Bike appears to be fine - I think I'm the one who absorbed the shock of the fall. Right leg is pretty sore, but I can move everything well enough so I'm pretty confident nothing is broken. But it does hurt quite a bit to put weight on it, so I'm probably going to have to spend a couple days mending. More time to look at the pictures coming out of Eurobike, right?
    Right!

MVT bridge troll strikes again Yeah definitely take a few days off, and maybe get checked out too if things don't get better.

Post Thanks / Like

Rode the rest of the way into the office, and as soon as I got off the bike I discovered that I can't seem to put any pressure on my right leg without a considerable amount of pain.

Alas, will be sag wagon-ing it home this afternoon.
    I'll be happy to ghost ride your bike home this afternoon.

13. Likes dasgeh, Dickie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jopamora View Post
    I'll be happy to ghost ride your bike home this afternoon.
    It doesn't hurt to ride, it just hurts to walk.

15. Likes Vicegrip, vvill, consularrider liked this post
    ELITE Rod Smith, dasgeh, consularrider ELITED this post