Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bicycle Accident 06/26/2013

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bicycle Accident 06/26/2013

Hi everyone,

I was involved in a bicycle accident on 06/26/2013. I was hit by a car while on the W&OD crossing Buckthorn lane. The driver of the vehicle briefly exited his car and without checking me out sped away from the scene. I filed a police report with the Fairfax county police. I just recently received a letter from this gentleman's insurance company claiming I was at fault for the accident. If there is anyone on here who was one of the handful of witnesses that day, please respond to this and let me know. I am in the process of writing a rebuttal and having a witnesses account would be much appreciated. I know it's a long shot, but hopefully one of those people there that day will respond. I was riding a Trek Discovery Madone 5.9 that is blue and silver. I was wearing a Trek discovery jersey with a black and yellow livestrong helmet. Please email me at seb07009@gmail.com if you were one of the witnesses that day.

Attached is a picture of me with the bike I was riding the day I was hit.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Is this guys insurance company flat out admitting that their client was involved in a vehicle collision in which he fled the scene?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattAune View Post
    Is this guys insurance company flat out admitting that their client was involved in a vehicle collision in which he fled the scene?
    To quote the letter "In this case, our investigation reveals that you were responsible for the accident. This is based on our insured's statement, photos from the scene as well as the police report. Therefore, we are unable to pay for your damages or injury claim."

I'm not sure what photos they are referring to because I doubt he could take any in the five seconds that it took him to drive off from the scene of the accident. I never filed any claims for medical bills or anything, I just merely wanted it on record in case he came after me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattAune View Post
    It would be good to find out the driver's version of the story as reported to the insurance company. I don't see how they would try to get you to pay up when their client commited a felony hit-and-run.

Were you recording your ride in any way (camera, Strava, MapMyRide, etc.)? You could use that to show that you had right-of-way in the collision.

I hope you are able to get the info you need for your case.

Post Thanks / Like

Default RE

I was using Strava at the time. The intersection is at the crest of category 2-3 climb and I stopped at the stop sign and proceeded as normal. Once about five feet into the intersection I was hit by this man's vehicle. I am collecting the police report tonight to see what his side of the story is. The guy who took down this guy's license plate for me said he was color-blind, that's all I remember about him. I really hope this gets to him somehow and he can give his account of the story.

Post Thanks / Like

Default RE

To Quote the letter "In this case, our investigation reveals that you were responsible for the accident. This is based on our insured's statement, photos from the scene as well as the police report. Therefore, we are unable to pay for your damages or injury claim."

I'm not sure what "photos" they are referring to, seeing as how from the time I got hit to when he drove off was under 30 seconds.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tascamtone View Post
    To Quote the letter "In this case, our investigation reveals that you were responsible for the accident. This is based on our insured's statement, photos from the scene as well as the police report. Therefore, we are unable to pay for your damages or injury claim."

I'm not sure what "photos" they are referring to, seeing as how from the time I got hit to when he drove off was under 30 seconds.
    And if you filed a police report from the scene, and he wasn't there....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Strava

Here is a link to the Strava file from that ride:

http://www.strava.com/activities/62981308

Post Thanks / Like

I am no lawyer, and I usually am a cheapskate. I do everything myself instead of hiring a professional (plumber, electrician, mechanic). In this case I would get yourself a lawyer. Virginia law is pretty prickly when it comes to assigning fault, damages, etc. I would think it is an admission of guilt if he is making a claim on his insurance. I would also contact the non-emergency line for the police that you filed your police report with. There is probably evidence of the hit and run that the Claimant and Insurance company may be in the process of destroying.

10. 08-22-2013, 03:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like

What does the police report say?

Tracking down the vehicle shouldn't have been an issue, because the trail crosses Buckthorn right near the end of a cul-de-sac. The only cars really crossing there are the people who live in the ~10 houses at the end of the road.