Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Bollards

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    772
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Bollards

    StreetsBlog Network linked an article from A view from the cycle path on the use of bollards. It discusses some good and bad uses of bollards in the Netherlands and England. At the end of the article is a video (the video is in Dutch) showing a new type of flexible bollard that is being tested in the Netherlands. In addition to being flexible, the bollard includes solar powered lighting. Might these be the solution for some of our trails?

    Name:  fietspaalpilot_hardenberg.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  34.2 KB

    Picture from http://www.fietsberaad.nl/index.cfm?...+bike+bollards
    Last edited by CaseyKane50; 08-19-2013 at 08:15 AM. Reason: added source of picture

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,342
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaseyKane50 View Post
    StreetsBlog Network linked an article from A view from the cycle path on the use of bollards. It discusses some good and bad uses of bollards in the Netherlands and England. At the end of the article is a video (the video is in Dutch) showing a new type of flexible bollard that is being tested in the Netherlands. In addition to being flexible, the bollard includes solar powered lighting. Might these be the solution for some of our trails?

    Name:  fietspaalpilot_hardenberg.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  34.2 KB
    There are definitely solutions where warranted, I've posted some stuff before related to the AASHTO guidelines for bike route bollards. One big obstacle is always getting the road dept to do the right thing, rather than just putting in a bunch of posts. E.g., note that the example above widens the path so you have two full-width lanes plus a safety buffer, uses fore-and-aft paint around the center bollard, etc. And that design is still not useful for trails that need frequent vehicle access, as the center post is fixed. The best solutions for those combine the above with a gate for vehicles. I don't think most of our local trails have sufficient ROW for something like that. Given the difficulties in doing bollards well, and the ease of screwing the up (and the related difficulty in getting problems corrected) it's still easiest to just say no to bollards. Statistically, you're still more likely to be injured by a badly installed bollard than a motorist intrusion.

    The one exception might be at church st and maple ave in vienna, as motorists there seem to be complete f*ing idiots; a wide fixed post arrangement like the above may be reasonable as there doesn't seem to be a strong need for maintenance vehicle access at that specific location. I'd prefer that they start by simply trying some different paint schemes on the trail surface, though.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The week before last in Idaho I rode most of the popular 70-mile "Trail of the Couer d'Alenes" bike path. They had some of the most egregious, dangerous bollards I've ever seen. This one was supposedly damaged by vandals, but it could just as easily been from a rider smashing into it:


  4. #4
    TwoWheelsDC's Avatar
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    ALX
    Posts
    3,712
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JimF22003 View Post
    The week before last in Idaho I rode most of the popular 70-mile "Trail of the Couer d'Alenes" bike path.
    Off topic, but that's like 30 minutes from my mom's house and I've never ridden/walked it...I am fail.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Posts
    5,743
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JimF22003 View Post
    The week before last in Idaho I rode most of the popular 70-mile "Trail of the Couer d'Alenes" bike path. They had some of the most egregious, dangerous bollards I've ever seen. This one was supposedly damaged by vandals, but it could just as easily been from a rider smashing into it:

    Is that little bits of snow/ice in the picture, and if so, did you take the picture while you were there?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Alexandria (Groveton)
    Posts
    1,678
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The one I would love to see removed is by the railroad tunnel along the MVT. They redid the entry onto the street recently, but misjudged the concrete leaving a good 2" differential and they kept the stupid big solid bollard in the middle. So it's double annoying to try to avoid the bollard while also not hitting the city-created bump.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Crystal City to L'Enfant Plaza
    Posts
    2,314
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Terpfan View Post
    The one I would love to see removed is by the railroad tunnel along the MVT. They redid the entry onto the street recently, but misjudged the concrete leaving a good 2" differential and they kept the stupid big solid bollard in the middle. So it's double annoying to try to avoid the bollard while also not hitting the city-created bump.
    Where is this? I ride the MVT frequently and don't recall this location.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Tukwila, WA
    Posts
    2,192
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Terpfan View Post
    The one I would love to see removed is by the railroad tunnel along the MVT. They redid the entry onto the street recently, but misjudged the concrete leaving a good 2" differential and they kept the stupid big solid bollard in the middle. So it's double annoying to try to avoid the bollard while also not hitting the city-created bump.
    Do you mean the Wilkes Street tunnel in Alexandria (http://goo.gl/maps/mSt5c)? It's not part of the MVT, but the bollard is painted black making it difficult to see.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    Is that little bits of snow/ice in the picture, and if so, did you take the picture while you were there?
    Not my pic. Just a google image search.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Alexandria (Groveton)
    Posts
    1,678
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yep, that's what I'm talking about. Where the path to the Wilkes St tunnel intersects Union St (MVT). Google maps doesn't show a black metal bollard there, but that's what they installed and they redid the concrete making it even a bigger bump down onto the road.

    I usually go that way as it's a little faster than going around Jones Point and during the summer the tunnel is always nice and cool.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •