Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Bike Friendly Falls Church

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bike Friendly Falls Church

Prepare for more stop sign tickets on the WOD

NEWS RELEASE

Police to Enforce Driver, Cyclist, and Pedestrian Safety in Shared Use Areas

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 -- The City of Falls Church Police Department reminds drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians to follow state and City laws in shared use and heavily traveled areas like intersections along the Washington and Old Dominion (W&OD) Trail. Officers are monitoring for stop sign violations, failure to yield to pedestrians, and jaywalking. Each offense could carry a fine or an assessment of driving record points.

Per state law, drivers must yield to pedestrians and cyclists who are in or at the crosswalk. Pedestrians, cyclists, and any other users of the W&OD Trail are required to come to a complete stop prior to entering crosswalks. Drivers and cyclists must stop at all stop signs and red traffic lights. Drivers, pedestrians, and cyclists must travel safely and cautiously when passing through shared areas such as where the W&OD Trail meets streets.

For more information on state laws, visit the Virginia Department of Transportation's website. For more information on City code, visit the City's online code portal.

###

Post Thanks / Like

The news release seems to misstate the Commonwealth law regarding right of way for peds or cyclists "at" the crosswalk (a topic which as been well litigated in previous threads). This bodes ill for an informed enforcement effort.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    The news release seems to misstate the Commonwealth law regarding right of way for peds or cyclists "at" the crosswalk (a topic which as been well litigated in previous threads). This bodes ill for an informed enforcement effort.
    You can't very well expect them to come out and say "we're going to give tickets to people we don't like", can you?

Post Thanks / Like

This is why I hardly ever ride the W&OD through Falls Church (that plus the heavy pedestrian traffic and the intersections every 100 feet). Lincoln Street is a good way to avoid the W&OD going east.

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw three cars pulled over (by two police) in Falls Church City this morning. One on Broad, two on N Cherry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnoftheDread View Post
    I saw three cars pulled over (by two police) in Falls Church City this morning. One on Broad, two on N Cherry.
    They're doing an enforcement push these days. I love and respect all mankind! Cool to see some enforcement of traffic laws! I can only hope for more consistency.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Saw an officer out on bike on the trail near the grove/west intersection. Luckily I have a fun alternative that completely bypasses all this falls church city silliness. It takes a little longer, but the C&O is much more scenic and fun!

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

officer friendly is out again at the intersection of the W&OD and Grove Street just on the eastern side of the bridge over broad st. please follow all applicable laws