Likes Likes:  101
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  12
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tales of the Good

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnoftheDread View Post
    What ever happened to that guy? He was quite helpful.
    Sadly, he and the family moved back to CA since the DC job didn't work out well for him and they had relatives on the West Coast

Post Thanks / Like

I sent him a PM a few weeks ago that he responded to, so he still looks at the forum from time to time. He gave a great class at Shirlington Library that came in handy for me - I wanted to thank him again.

Post Thanks / Like

Few years ago when the temperatures were soaring I did a ride on my trek 29er marlin MTB to bethesda from n arl. My camelbak ran out of water quickly and on the rosslyn hill climb back I stopped on custis to answer a phone call.

Shortly thereafter two riders stopped and asked if I was okay due to the heat. That was nice of them, from then on I always make a habit of doing a double take on stopped riders to see if they're okay and need help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    This didn't happen. No way.
    I understand the disbelief. That little blinky holds on real well!

Post Thanks / Like

I often run on the Custis trail around Ballston with a running stroller. Virtually all bicyclists passing us call their passes, which makes me happy. Thanks bicyclists!

Even nicer when they ring their bell since my 1,5 year old really likes the sound of that

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guus View Post
    I often run on the Custis trail around Ballston with a running stroller. Virtually all bicyclists passing us call their passes, which makes me happy. Thanks bicyclists!

Even nicer when they ring their bell since my 1,5 year old really likes the sound of that
    Maybe I'm a bit biased, because I ride the entire length of the Custis almost every day, but it seems to have the highest pass-calling rate of all the trails. I'd also wager that, due to its geography and location, it has the highest commuter ratio of any of the MUPs in the area, which I think might correlate with the high percentage of called passes. Would certainly be interesting to see some metrics on that, but I don't expect that will happen. Until then, I unofficially dub the Custis "the Friendliest Trail in the DC Area."

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guus View Post
    I bet you 1.5 year old would really like Kidical Mass Arlington, too.

Post Thanks / Like

I generally try to bell the peds/runners and call my passes for the (few) cyclists I pass.

I particularly like it when the runners acknowledge the ring (a hand movement is all I need) so I know the chance of a Crazy Ivan has been reduced.

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post

I particularly like it when the runners acknowledge the ring (a hand movement is all I need) so I know the chance of a Crazy Ivan has been reduced.
    Er, yeah..... but it seems like too often its a chance for a Captain Hook if you get my drift (joggers who wave acknowledgement, by sticking their hand left out into the trail - directly in the path of the passing traffic)

Post Thanks / Like

Since my SO is not a forum member, I will post about the nice things that have happened to him on his behalf.

In addition to not being a forum member, my SO is all about making his bike "lighter" which leads to chronic over-stuffing of the one pannier bag he allows himself on his bike. He can't have more, oh no... that would make his bike "too heavy." Needless to say, this conceit of his leads to much comic relief for me since I take the "Haul" in my Long Haul Trucker seriously and he is always trying to be gallant and offer to carry thing for me. Ha! (I also take the "Utility" seriously in my 4-wheeled Sport Utility Vehicle usually to the surprise of shop owners in what I have been able to haul in it... I think I need a new career hauling things.)

We live in SW, a.k.a FedGov Wasteland, and commute together in the mornings. And he insists on riding behind me especially when I point out how precariously overstuffed his bag is. At least twice this year (he will insist it has only been twice but I am pretty sure it has been at least half a dozen times now) we have had drivers of USG plated vehicles catch up with us at 4th & Penn either dangle articles of his clothing out their windows or telling him where he can go back and pick them up.

Thanks nice drivers!