Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new red light box in Del Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Default new red light box in Del Ray

Thanks Alexandria!

Name:  newbikebox.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  46.8 KB

New red light bike box on Commonwealth and Mt. Vernon. More important than the paint on the road is that they added new detection instruments so that a bike will trip the stop light. It's a weird enough, off-angle intersection that going on red always felt a little weird. They also extended the bike lanes northward to where they already were to the north.

http://delray.patch.com/groups/polit...ke-box-arrives

Post Thanks / Like

Kudos to Carrie!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    Thanks Alexandria!

Name:  newbikebox.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  46.8 KB

New red light bike box on Commonwealth and Mt. Vernon. More important than the paint on the road is that they added new detection instruments so that a bike will trip the stop light. It's a weird enough, off-angle intersection that going on red always felt a little weird. They also extended the bike lanes northward to where they already were to the north.

http://delray.patch.com/groups/polit...ke-box-arrives
    Looks great! I look forward to using it when I pass through there (Commonwealth Ave is my favorite non-MUP route in the area). One minor detail is missing, though: the bicycle symbol so drivers know not to stop in it.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Went thru there tonight and my presence most definitely did not trip the light - grrrr. I was most definitely within the green paint. Perhaps it hasn't been turned on yet? Fortunately a car finally came up behind me. I presume the bike symbols will be added soon - they probably had to wait for the green paint to dry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    Went thru there tonight and my presence most definitely did not trip the light - grrrr. I was most definitely within the green paint. Perhaps it hasn't been turned on yet? Fortunately a car finally came up behind me. I presume the bike symbols will be added soon - they probably had to wait for the green paint to dry.
    I rode through there this morning and did not trip the light either. I was standing in the middle of the green "corner" section and upon seeing the stoplight cycle skip my way, promptly broke the law and rode through the red (it was 6 in the morning, so there weren't any other people on the road).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    I rode through there this morning and did not trip the light either. I was standing in the middle of the green "corner" section and upon seeing the stoplight cycle skip my way, promptly broke the law and rode through the red (it was 6 in the morning, so there weren't any other people on the road).
    You can proceed on a red thru an intersection in VA if you wait two cycles or two minutes in cases like this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    You can proceed on a red thru an intersection in VA if you wait two cycles or two minutes in cases like this.
    I know that law, and I fully admit I definitely did not do that. One cycle or 30 seconds in my case. Had to do it a few more times (Eisenhower Ave Connector/"mini-Lombard" St, East Dr/Telegraph, and Huntington/Route 1) as well. I don't tend to run a red unless it's clear the stoplight sensor doesn't "sense" me (the ONE good time to have vehicles around you on the roads!).

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I was glad a car came up behind me because the intersection was really busy when I was there as well as weirdly laid out.

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

But the box is green, not red.

Post Thanks / Like

I've sent an email to the Alexandria government folks asking if the light mechanism has been turned on yet.