Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: recovery rides for beginners

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default recovery rides for beginners

So. day after my first above 25 mile ride,which ended up being 29 miles, mostly on the MVT.

"you should get outside dear. Why don't you ride again?"

Well, I've heard references to recovery rides. And its a nice day. And this would be a chance to give Annandale another change as far as riding.

So ride up Hummer. Up the long hill up to Royce. And its, like not much fun. I decide to cut it short, at just under half an hour. MAYBE if there was somewhere relatively flat to ride around here (other than Little River Turnpike) I might have done a bit more.

So, are recovery rides only something part of a "training regimen"? Is it something beneficial for everyone after a long (for them) ride?

Meanwhile I will get my exercise today by gardening (only mowing and weeding, I'm afraid - lots of neglected weeds)

Post Thanks / Like

I always do a recovery ride, It helps to clear the acids out of my muscles and makes the following day not as painful. I do try to do something a little less intense for the recovery ride.

For instance, Yesterday (Sat) I did 70 miles, Today I did a recovery of 20 miles on the flats at Hanes Point.

My legs feel tired right now but not sore and I feel as though I could go out and ride some more.

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post

So ride up Hummer. Up the long hill up to Royce. And its, like not much fun. I decide to cut it short, at just under half an hour. MAYBE if there was somewhere relatively flat to ride around here (other than Little River Turnpike) I might have done a bit more.

So, are recovery rides
    Were you heading north or south? If south, why not turn around at the LRT service road to Lafayette Village drive.? If north, go up a bit further to Marshall.

Post Thanks / Like

I apologize for the ignorance of this question- so if I work out, how come i don't do a recovery work out the next day so I don't feel sore. What if I don't recovery ride bur instead just rest one or two days and go do another ride? Will my legs get bigger after 2 months of this?

Amalitza Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post

So, are recovery rides only something part of a "training regimen"? Is it something beneficial for everyone after a long (for them) ride?
    I don't know the real answer. But in my experience, if I have sore muscles, I benefit (get less sore faster) from doing some light exercise the next day. If I just have tired muscles, I've never noticed a difference between "recovery" exercise and just plain rest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
    I apologize for the ignorance of this question- so if I work out, how come i don't do a recovery work out the next day so I don't feel sore. What if I don't recovery ride bur instead just rest one or two days and go do another ride? Will my legs get bigger after 2 months of this?

I'm no expert, but I believe the basics are that working out for long periods of time (I believe especially with long cardio) builds up lactic acid in your muscles. It stays there basically until you sweat some out. Doing light cardio (such as a recovery ride or run) can help move lactic acid out of your system without adding new lactic acid. Just resting will not help much with displacing lactic acid, and will therefore not actually help you recover nearly as much, and will take longer for you to feel good.

Post Thanks / Like

For me, recovery rides are mostly mental. I want and need to go out and ride the day after a big effort... whatever that may be. My legs feel better. My mind feels better.

Chris Carmichael says it well:
    The concept is ridiculously simple: Take a very easy spin on your bike. To be honest, there's little scientific evidence that recovery rides are any more beneficial—physiologically—than sitting on your couch. The same can be said for massage, but athletes and coaches swear by both as ways to enhance between-workout recovery. Both help athletes feel fresher and looser for their next hard training session. And there's a clear psychological benefit to that.
    Go super easy... spin your pedals... smell the roses... Have a fun ride. It liberates the mind and the legs.

Hope that helps a little.

Pete

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnoftheDread View Post
    Were you heading north or south? If south, why not turn around at the LRT service road to Lafayette Village drive.? If north, go up a bit further to Marshall.
    North from Championship. I've done Lafayette Drive too, this time I tried Hummer again. maybe Lafayette would be better for a "recovery" ride.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

I like going on more "transportational" rides (rides to get somewhere, vs just a loop) for "recovery". I saw that you can ride to Mosaic -- maybe ride over there and enjoy a "special treat" or a movie or a chat with Dirt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I'm no expert, but I believe the basics are that working out for long periods of time (I believe especially with long cardio) builds up lactic acid in your muscles. It stays there basically until you sweat some out. Doing light cardio (such as a recovery ride or run) can help move lactic acid out of your system without adding new lactic acid. Just resting will not help much with displacing lactic acid, and will therefore not actually help you recover nearly as much, and will take longer for you to feel good.
    FYI--It's not lactic acid that makes you feel sore, and you don't sweat it out:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/16/he...6run.html?_r=0

http://www.active.com/mountainbiking...sterday_s_ride