Likes Likes:  52
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
ELITE ELITE:  11
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another car on the W&OD

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Another car on the W&OD

This time, some tourist followed his GPS onto the trail:

http://www.arlnow.com/2013/07/11/exc...own-wod-trail/

Post Thanks / Like

The GPS defense? Unreal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by txgoonie View Post
    The GPS defense? Unreal.
    Florida.

Post Thanks / Like

Stop reading comments sections on the web. Stop reading comments sections on the web. Stop reading comments sections on the web. Stop reading comments sections on the web. Stop reading comments sections on the web.

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Florida Man is everywhere! He does all kinds of amazing things, in Florida and across our nation. Florida Man has super powers! He does things other people don't. He often uses is not-average level of intelligence in his feats. You can see what I mean by googling "Florida Man" or following him on Twitter (FloridaMan). His latest exploits, from Google:
    Florida man rearrested after punching deputy in jail lobby

Report: Florida man secretly videotaped naked stepdaughter in bathroom while looking for pelvic tattoos

Florida Man Robs Gas Station While Applying for a Job There

Post Thanks / Like

The best police crash report I've ever read included the following (paraphrased):

Driver 1 turned right on red and struck Driver 2. Driver 1 turned because GPS told them to Turn Right Now.
    Not joking.

Post Thanks / Like

After receiving numerous calls from trail users, a police officer on a motorcycle caught up with the vehicle, a Chrysler 300 sedan, in Glencarlyn Park.
    I just don't get it. Multiple things here:
    1. In order to get onto the trail, he had to drive up onto the curb or use the pedestrian ramps at Four Mile Run/Columbia Pike.
    2. While he was on the trail, his "lane" had bright yellow dashed lines in the middle of it (just like the bike trails in Florida) that he ignored.
    3. He followed his GPS without exercising good judgement.
    4. He didn't register that, "hey, a whole bunch of pedestrians and cyclists seem to be standing on the side of the road staring at me; maybe something is wrong."
    5. It scares me to think what speed he was driving since that section has a couple of curves that are difficult to see around. It seems like he was going slower than that drunk driver from McLean, but still.
    6. On his entry point, what more can be done to help prevent any future incidents like this? While I would advocate for a flexpost bollard to be placed in the middle of the trail where the stop sign is, I do think that spot could lose a lot of the asphalt and a "No left/right turn" signs on Columbia Pike could help.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

#1 is wrong. There is a covenient driveway-type ramp northbound trail access.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    3. He followed his GPS without exercising good judgement.
    I can imagine precisely one scenario where GPS would advise such a turn, and that would involve the driver selecting the little bicycle or pedestrian icon when putting the route into Google Maps. That part of the scenario is pretty easy to imagine, but for that to play out the way it did would require an almost unbelievable lack of situational awareness on the part of the driver.

So actually that whole sequence of events seems pretty freaking plausible...

Post Thanks / Like

To be fair, anyone who can drive a mile down something that is so obviously a bike path has already demonstrated an almost unbelievable lack of situational awareness.