Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Traffic Lights on the W&OD

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

In Virginia, if the light is red for more than 2 minutes or 2 cycles (whichever is shorter), you can go when it's clear:

46.2-833. Traffic lights; penalty.

[...]
    B. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, if a driver of a motorcycle or moped or a bicycle rider approaches an intersection that is controlled by a traffic light, the driver or rider may proceed through the intersection on a steady red light only if the driver or rider (i) comes to a full and complete stop at the intersection for two complete cycles of the traffic light or for two minutes, whichever is shorter, (ii) exercises due care as provided by law, (iii) otherwise treats the traffic control device as a stop sign, (iv) determines that it is safe to proceed, and (v) yields the right of way to the driver of any vehicle approaching on such other highway from either direction.

Seems like timing the lights so a cyclist would always have to wait for more than 2 minutes would be contrary to at least the spirit of the law.

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    In Virginia, if the light is red for more than 2 minutes or 2 cycles (whichever is shorter), you can go when it's clear: ...
    Seems like timing the lights so a cyclist would always have to wait for more than 2 minutes would be contrary to at least the spirit of the law.
    Welcome to the W&OD intersections at Gallows and Maple.

Formerly of the Pike where I was hit twice in bike-friendly Arlington. Now in Takoma Park.
    Post Thanks / Like

I heard back that they would inform the town of Herndon. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey everyone, I ended up sending a report in about this light early this week. Seems to be fixed now, hooray! Although, it is TBD on whether or not my report had anything to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rando Guy View Post
    Light crossing Columbia Pike I've noticed now takes 2 cycles for a pedestrian crossing, starting last week.

Post Thanks / Like

Was still broken this morning at about 7:00am. A couple of brave bike riders ahead of me saw a short gap, held out their arms like school crossing guards, and got about 10 riders and runners through against the red.

I and another guy hopped off the curb into Col. Pike as well in preference to trying to navigate that horrible rough narrow little temporary trail. They need to get that corner fixed ASAP.

Post Thanks / Like

How long did you wait?

Post Thanks / Like

I was trying to figure out where Colonel Pike was.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    I was trying to figure out where Colonel Pike was.
    Colonel Pike is in the Library with the Mustard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rando Guy View Post
    How long did you wait?
    We waited through two full cycles, and starting on a third before taking the law into our own hands

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted to add that I happened to be in a car yesterday driving south on Gallows. As we approached the trail crossing, we were passed by another vehicle that was going about 50 mph, and that was the general speed of traffic. Kind of horrifying when you think about having to cross that kind of high speed traffic on a bicycle, even when there is a traffic light.