Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: Traffic Lights on the W&OD

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Formerly of the Pike where I was hit twice in bike-friendly Arlington. Now in Takoma Park.
    Posts
    380
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Traffic Lights on the W&OD

    I think that if the powers that be are going to require cyclists to wait for a signal to cross, they should at the least make sure the signal works.

    Yesterday, as is not atypical, the wait at Gallows seems to be long, the wait at Maple Ave seems to be long, and then the light to cross in Herndon wasn't even working. I try to follow the law, but at close to 8 minutes, we finally just darted into light traffic in Herndon.

    I have been at the Maple Ave crossing where there were over 50 people waiting. That's almost unsafe.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,254
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elbows View Post
    I think that if the powers that be are going to require cyclists to wait for a signal to cross, they should at the least make sure the signal works.

    Yesterday, as is not atypical, the wait at Gallows seems to be long, the wait at Maple Ave seems to be long, and then the light to cross in Herndon wasn't even working. I try to follow the law, but at close to 8 minutes, we finally just darted into light traffic in Herndon.

    I have been at the Maple Ave crossing where there were over 50 people waiting. That's almost unsafe.
    There's all kinds of things they could do. They could raise the priority for waiting pedestrians, they could make sure that the buttons actually do something, they could use an actual stop light instead of that ridiculous contraption at Belmont Ridge Road (what does that stupid thing even mean?), they could base the cycle time on the number of people waiting, etc. But they have no incentive to do so, since VDOT only has a metric for vehicle LoS, not pedestrian/cyclist LoS.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Vienna, VA
    Posts
    282
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Light crossing Columbia Pike I've noticed now takes 2 cycles for a pedestrian crossing, starting last week.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,698
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elbows View Post
    I think that if the powers that be are going to require cyclists to wait for a signal to cross, they should at the least make sure the signal works.

    Yesterday, as is not atypical, the wait at Gallows seems to be long, the wait at Maple Ave seems to be long, and then the light to cross in Herndon wasn't even working. I try to follow the law, but at close to 8 minutes, we finally just darted into light traffic in Herndon.

    I have been at the Maple Ave crossing where there were over 50 people waiting. That's almost unsafe.
    Did you reported it?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,698
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rando Guy View Post
    Light crossing Columbia Pike I've noticed now takes 2 cycles for a pedestrian crossing, starting last week.
    Did you report i?

    I'd start here: https://www.arlingtonva.us/departmen...te/resform.htm

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Formerly of the Pike where I was hit twice in bike-friendly Arlington. Now in Takoma Park.
    Posts
    380
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I emailed NRVPA but it was not clear to me whom I should email.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,698
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elbows View Post
    I emailed NRVPA but it was not clear to me whom I should email.
    If you don't hear anything back, you could try this form: http://www.virginiadot.org/travel/citizen.asp

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Vienna, VA
    Posts
    282
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    No, seemed like it was on purpose due to it starting after the construction taking place at this light.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,698
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rando Guy View Post
    No, seemed like it was on purpose due to it starting after the construction taking place at this light.
    Ah, I thought it sounded like you were saying something was wrong.

    But keep that link handy for future reference!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Vienna, VA
    Posts
    282
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I could see that, sorry about the confusion. I'll keep it handy for sure.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •