Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Traffic Lights on the W&OD

Formerly of the Pike where I was hit twice in bike-friendly Arlington. Now in Takoma Park.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Traffic Lights on the W&OD

I think that if the powers that be are going to require cyclists to wait for a signal to cross, they should at the least make sure the signal works.

Yesterday, as is not atypical, the wait at Gallows seems to be long, the wait at Maple Ave seems to be long, and then the light to cross in Herndon wasn't even working. I try to follow the law, but at close to 8 minutes, we finally just darted into light traffic in Herndon.

I have been at the Maple Ave crossing where there were over 50 people waiting. That's almost unsafe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elbows View Post
    I think that if the powers that be are going to require cyclists to wait for a signal to cross, they should at the least make sure the signal works.

Yesterday, as is not atypical, the wait at Gallows seems to be long, the wait at Maple Ave seems to be long, and then the light to cross in Herndon wasn't even working. I try to follow the law, but at close to 8 minutes, we finally just darted into light traffic in Herndon.

I have been at the Maple Ave crossing where there were over 50 people waiting. That's almost unsafe.
    There's all kinds of things they could do. They could raise the priority for waiting pedestrians, they could make sure that the buttons actually do something, they could use an actual stop light instead of that ridiculous contraption at Belmont Ridge Road (what does that stupid thing even mean?), they could base the cycle time on the number of people waiting, etc. But they have no incentive to do so, since VDOT only has a metric for vehicle LoS, not pedestrian/cyclist LoS.

Post Thanks / Like

Light crossing Columbia Pike I've noticed now takes 2 cycles for a pedestrian crossing, starting last week.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you reported it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rando Guy View Post
    Light crossing Columbia Pike I've noticed now takes 2 cycles for a pedestrian crossing, starting last week.
    Did you report i?

I'd start here: https://www.arlingtonva.us/departmen...te/resform.htm

Formerly of the Pike where I was hit twice in bike-friendly Arlington. Now in Takoma Park.
    Post Thanks / Like

I emailed NRVPA but it was not clear to me whom I should email.

Post Thanks / Like

I emailed NRVPA but it was not clear to me whom I should email.
    If you don't hear anything back, you could try this form: http://www.virginiadot.org/travel/citizen.asp

Post Thanks / Like

No, seemed like it was on purpose due to it starting after the construction taking place at this light.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rando Guy View Post
    No, seemed like it was on purpose due to it starting after the construction taking place at this light.
    Ah, I thought it sounded like you were saying something was wrong.

But keep that link handy for future reference!

Post Thanks / Like

I could see that, sorry about the confusion. I'll keep it handy for sure.