Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Cyclocross all-arounder or N+1 with road bike?

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sethpo View Post
    I'm also partial to the no-label utilitarian look of the Nashbar bike.
    Yeah, I definitely prefer that to BD's "look"!

Post Thanks / Like

I think you made the right choice. You won't feel bad about laying the bike down in the woods with 105 shifters; whereas you might with Ultegra. My 2-year old 105 shifters have been beat up pretty badly and superglued several times; I have new Apex shifters to replace them, but they are still functional and I still crash a lot trying to hop logs or otherwise keep up with mountain bikes

Things you may wish to consider upgrading: the FD (top-pull cx70 or cx50) and the brakes to mini-v (I got the pricey TRP brakes but the cheaper Tektro version probably work just fine). Of course, ride what you got and then decide; those are just the two things I would probably budget swapping out.

And as vvill said, wheels are probably one of the best upgrades.

3. Likes KayakCyndi, dasgeh, sethpo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully, it will arrive in tact and be an simple assembly but if I need to bring the wheels in for truing, so be it.
    I bought a Nashbar bike a year ago and it arrived in good condition and assembly was very easy. I did have issues with the wheels but after 3 spokes broke I sent them back and Nashbar sent me a new set.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new bike! Let us know how it all goes for you. I'm looking at the Nashbar Steel Touring next time they have a 25% off sale. BD has downgraded their Windsor Tourist a bit and upped the price, so Nashbar is top of the list ATM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

I'm hoping it arrives in time for the weekend. In the end, $630 for a steel frame bike w/ 105 group seemed like a...well, steal. The reviews are great so I'm hoping for the best. I used the money I saved to order an upgraded wheelset and ultegra cassette for my road bike and will use those bontrager wheels as the primary set on the CX commuter either with the 700x30s it comes with or slick 28s perhaps and then I'll use the cheap wheels the Nashbar bike comes with for a set of 35mm studded mud/ice tires.

I'm definitely going to explore upgrading the brakes and front derailleur as Hozn suggests but will wait a bit and see how the stock canti brakes feel. I'm even less worried about the FD since I don't plan on doing much mud stuff for a few months but if I have issues it seems like an inexpensive and simple enough fix.

I'll take plenty of pics of how the bike is packed for shipping and what the assembly process is like and share if there's interest (although I think on this forum there's pretty much interest in anything having two wheels attached).

7. Likes dasgeh, jopamora, americancyclo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

(although I think on this forum there's pretty much interest in anything having two wheels attached).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	la-0105-pin08.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	4851

9. Likes cyclingfool, sethpo, dasgeh liked this post
    ELITE acl, consularrider ELITED this post
    ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the input, everyone! I was severely tempted by the BD Ultegra option but in the end stuck to my guns that this is a secondary bike so I grabbed one of Nashbar's sales and got the steel CX w/ 105 group for $630. I still have room in my budget for an extra/upgraded wheel set and tires w/o feeling stretched.
    I've had my eye on this bike for months and was going to pull the trigger if it ever went below $700. But I bought a different bike a couple of weeks ago. So you're welcome.

11. Likes sethpo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bike in a box. Assembly was simple enough. Really easy, actually. The only issue was the front brake cable threaded awkwardly through the other cables. Simple enough to fix. Adjusted the derailleurs and was out the door.

So far, bike seems solid but we'll need to give it a few more than one mile to dial in the fit and asses the ride. The brakes are definitely going to be replaced. The tektro oryx canti brakes aren't going to cut it. I'll work on adjusting them some more but am going to take Hozn's advice and replace them soon with mini-v.

It's hard to tell the exact color on Nashbar. It's a deep gloss red and not orange. There's not a decal on it and I kind of like the classic tube frame look. It shifts like a dream (which makes me think my road bike which also has 105s needs some work).

Overall, for the price I'm happy so far.

Here's some pics.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140227_172955.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	4865Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140227_144935.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	4866Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140227_144358.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	4867Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140227_144257.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	4868

13. ELITE vvill ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That looks really nice; thanks for posting the pics! Sorry the cantis are proving to not be great. Toeing them in may help and I know not all cantis are created equal (but at the point where you are buying new brakes I think mini-v is a winner anyway -- no fiddling needed). I could never get good stopping power or non-earth-shatteringly-loud squealing.

As Dismal mentioned you could also look into a fork mounted brake stop.

If you do decide to spring for the top-shelf TRP mini-v brakes, I think the CX9 model is what you want, though I am not 100% sure what model numbers / years "newer Shimano" translates to. (I think they changed [increased] cable pull slightly in recent years.) I found those brakes new online for under $100, but obviously that is still a good percentage of the bike cost I haven't done the research, but suspect the Tektros mini-v are good too?

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Flip it. Slam it.

16. Likes vvill liked this post