Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Left crank arm falls off; and I eat it

Post Thanks / Like

Default Left crank arm falls off; and I eat it

Ouch!

Going up a hill on a trail on my less than two weeks old Felt Z4 2013 and I hear a thunk and the left crank just detaches completely; since I was standing up and all of my weight was projected forward I go down into the trail and dirt!

Thankfully only a busted up finger, some medium to minor cuts, and some sore muscles were the result. The handlebar and shifter is all bent inwards though from the impact.

Was close to home so I put my injured bike on my shoulder and hiked it back and took it to revolution cycles clarendon where I purchased it. The bike mechanic was bewildered and said that sort of thing should not happen on a new bike...

Hopefully they can get her back on the road soon.

The bike has less than 50 miles on it, anyone know how a crank arm can just fall off like that on a new bike? Did the manufacturer assemble it wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

Shop assembly error

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh dude, that's awful. Wow. So glad you weren't injured worse. If this was the mechanic's fault then I would definitely hold Revolution's toes to the line from now to eternity. I'd also demand new replacement parts for anything bent (broken of course).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    Shop assembly error
    This. A bolt that should have been torqued down obviously wasn't.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    Oh dude, that's awful. Wow. So glad you weren't injured worse. If this was the mechanic's fault then I would definitely hold Revolution's toes to the line from now to eternity. I'd also demand new replacement parts for anything bent (broken of course).
    Try and see if they'll give you a loaner bike while they fix yours. I hope you and your bike heal up fast, lim!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear this, but glad you're okay! I seem to have really bad luck with Revolution Cycles. I'd say to definitely hold them accountable and make sure they don't mess anything else up. If you know of anyone who works on bikes, maybe try and have them give it a once over. Not to say Revolution isn't trustworthy, but they tried to replace my seatpost with a cracked one and then one of the wrong size. If I didn't know what I needed from talking to the fine folks on here, i'd probably be hurt from their incompetence!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lim View Post
    The bike mechanic was bewildered and said that sort of thing should not happen on a new bike...
    That sort of thing shouldn't happen on any bike, let alone a newly assembled one. I mean one time on my old mountain bike I snapped the spindle in the bottom bracket and the cranks fell off, but that was the bottom bracket's fault, and it was old and weak.

I might expect this sort of thing can happen from a dept store bike, but in your case, someone seriously screwed up. Many apologies and years of discounted maintenance should be in your future if you hold their feet to the fire.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I snapped a crank once, but it was on a 20 year old bike. And the crank split in two. Did this just fall off? Definitely be wary.

Post Thanks / Like

Something like that happened to me at Rhodes and 14th on an evening commute. Specialized Sirrus, about 10,000 miles on it. I was at the 4-way stops before the climb up to Courthouse. I was standing in the pedals waiting my turn. On my turn I leaned into the first downstroke and my right crank arm sheared right off at the base. Next thing I knew I was falling straight down with my clipped in foot completely free. I somehow kept my balance and feet (lucky I was at a near standstill) and didn't harm anything else.

Coincidentally, a bike mechanic from Papillon was right behind me and saw the whole thing. He hopped out said that he had never seen that happen before and that it was awesome (awesome as in crazy rare, not awesome as in good news for me). He threw my bike in his car and gave me a ride home. I brought the bike to Papillon (not my usual stop) and they fixed me up.

Juding by the carbon buildup where the crank sheared we guess that I had a micro-fissure for some time and that it just took one good final torque with all my weight on it to get it to fail completely.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

I was on a group ride last year when someone's crank fell off. Fortunately he was going slowly on a flat bit of road so it was more of an inconvenience than anything else. He was on a road bike but I don't remember any more than that.