Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Intro -- New

Post Thanks / Like

Default Intro -- New

Hi all -- just discovered this site. I'll probably lurk for a while to sort of get a feel before posting much.

About me -- I've been commuting from Greenbelt to downtown DC via the Anacostia Trib trails through College Park and Hyattsville, up the Allison Street/Arundel Road route into NE DC, over the Monroe Street bridge, and down the MBT and eventually to the Penn Ave median lane. While this isn't the most direct or fastest route maybe, I like it because it's relatively relaxed and mostly out of traffic.

I'd be interested in exchanging tips from other commuters from northern Prince George's county, and would be happy post my route if anyone is interested.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Greenbelt. Nice to have you here!

Post Thanks / Like

Greenbelt - welcome. I'd love to see your route on Google maps, if you're okay sharing. I've often wondered about the best way to get up to that direction by bike from downtown.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. If you Google bike map "Greenbelt MD Cherrywood Lane to Washington DC" you'll get a close approximation, though I deviate from their recommendations here and there. Note that Google bike maps has some flaws in my opinion in the Greenbelt area. Using any other start/end point than "Cherrywood Lane" in Greenbelt can get some poor results -- Google sometimes directs cyclists on to Greenbelt Road (193) or Kenilworth Ave. (201), both of which are very bike hostile and easily avoided. From anywhere in Greenbelt, I think it's generally best to use Cherrywood Lane for the west side of town (near Greenbelt Metro), cross 201 at Crescent Road (there's a path down from Ivy Lane), use Crescent Road for Old Greenbelt area, and use the pedestrian/bike overpass to cross the BW Parkway to get to east Greenbelt, or "Greenbelt East" as we call it.
    Last edited by Greenbelt; 02-22-2011 at 12:59 PM. Reason: typo