Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metro DC singletrack

Post Thanks / Like

Default Metro DC singletrack

Is there any decent singletrack hidden around metro DC? I've found a couple of nice trails here and there, but tend to be broken up by residential areas. I mistakenly did the entire length of RCP from top to bottom not realizing that practically all of the good stuff is closed to bikes. I swear there were no signs at the trailhead. That's what I told the ranger, who didn't really seem all that bothered.

Post Thanks / Like

Fort Dupont is the only thing that comes to mind. I've done it a few times, but if Ray's listening, he can give better advice since he used to lead rides there.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Every trailhead I have seen in RCP is well marked as off-limits to bikes .... Certainly if you rode through the whole park on a bike you must have passed dozens of signs?

There are Cabin John trails, I believe, though I haven't ridden them.

There some singlegrack in McLean (Pimmit Run Stream Valley). It's a Fairfax nature trail.

Bikes are off limits on the American Heritage Trail, FYI.

Wakefield is close on the VA side. From within the city Rosaryville probably not bad either.

This is a tough time of year to ride, though, as trail conditions generally are not good until the hard freezes in deeper winter. ... Or Thursday/Friday, apparently.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Every trailhead I have seen in RCP is well marked as off-limits to bikes .... Certainly if you rode through the whole park on a bike you must have passed dozens of signs?

There are Cabin John trails, I believe, though I haven't ridden them.

There some singlegrack in McLean (Pimmit Run Stream Valley). It's a Fairfax nature trail.

Bikes are off limits on the American Heritage Trail, FYI.

Wakefield is close on the VA side. From within the city Rosaryville probably not bad either.

This is a tough time of year to ride, though, as trail conditions generally are not good until the hard freezes in deeper winter. ... Or Thursday/Friday, apparently.
    You're right, there are indeed signs. I noticed one riding a section last night (quite small though!) Judging by my track, I joined at odd sections, so no wonder I missed them.

Thanks for the suggestions. Heading to McLean then NW today.

Out of interest, what's the deal with the trails in the scrub that run parallel to the C&O starting at Chain Bridge (maybe a little before) and head north. Great fun to ride, but every single root and rock has been marked up with luminous orange paint. For runners? I've haven't seen any signage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hellocharlie View Post
    You're right, there are indeed signs. I noticed one riding a section last night (quite small though!) Judging by my track, I joined at odd sections, so no wonder I missed them.

Thanks for the suggestions. Heading to McLean then NW today.

Out of interest, what's the deal with the trails in the scrub that run parallel to the C&O starting at Chain Bridge (maybe a little before) and head north. Great fun to ride, but every single root and rock has been marked up with luminous orange paint. For runners? I've haven't seen any signage.
    Well, the best resource I've used for finding legal singletrack is https://www.mtbproject.com . It'll show you maps, reviews, profiles, pictures taken by riders, and even downloadable GPS maps (which you can use on your phone to follow, even if you don't get cell signal).

6. 12-14-2016, 08:02 AM

Reason
    duplicate

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    Well, the best resource I've used for finding legal singletrack is https://www.mtbproject.com . It'll show you maps, reviews, profiles, pictures taken by riders, and even downloadable GPS maps (which you can use on your phone to follow, even if you don't get cell signal).
    Thanks for that, I'll take a look. If I happen to stumble upon anything worthwhile while I'm out and about I'll make sure to share the GPS track.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hellocharlie View Post
    Yeah, I don't know that there are many (any?) signs for those trails, but I think they're off-limits to bicycles, based on:

Bicycle riding is permitted only on the towpath.
    from https://www.nps.gov/choh/planyourvis...gandbiking.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Hello. Yes I was leading rides in Fort Dupont for a long time. They are open to bikes. The link below is to a Ride with GPS route of all the trails.

Folks from DCMTB took over when I moved. They may be leading rides.

The biggest problems over there are trash, poison ivy and the road crossings. Often it is hard to find the next entrance. The terrain is not super challanging, but a great in DC escape. Some of the sections are amazing: huge trees, lots of deer, turkeys and no visable buildings nor roads.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/16457505

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Raymo853; 12-15-2016 at 01:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The Cross-County Trail in Fairfax County starts near the parking area at Difficult Run in Great Falls (VA side) and makes its way into the southern part of the county. It's broken up in sections but has a fair amount of shredable singletrack. 40 miles point to point.
    Last edited by ctankcycles; 12-15-2016 at 11:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Those both sound great - thanks fellas. Spoke with a guy today about Fort Dupont and he said the area is kinda sketchy - is that right? If it's just kids having a smoke that's fine, I'd just rather not be chased out of the woods by some lunatic huffing bath salts a la New Jersey.