Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best derecho strategies?

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

I was sitting with ice on my ankle as we watched the sky blacken to the north and the tops of the tree whip around. There was no rain as I left the VHC parking garage, but that lasted only until I pulled out onto George Mason. One or two thunderclaps, but never any heavy rain, and it pretty much stopped by the time I got to Rosslyn and pulled into my building's parking garage. Since I came straight to work instead of taking the longer loop, I got to work 45 minutes earlier than I had planned so I have some flexibility for an early departure today if needed. Of course, today ended up being an unscheduled telework or leave day for the feds.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind that falling trees/branches are a real threat. A 15 year old rider died this week from a falling tree (or branches I don't recall which) in Chevy Chase during a storm.

A couple of weeks ago, when we were having 35 mph gusts, I headed up the Rock Creek Parkway trail north of the beltway because it would be "sheltered" from the wind. Well, it was most definitely sheltered at my level but not at the top of the trees. I was almost decapitated by a six inch limb that came crashing down into the middle of the trail ten freet in front of me. I had heard the crack and stopped but didn't know where it was gonna fall; I got lucky. Has made me think twice about heading out into densely forested areas during high winds.

3. Likes ronwalf, KelOnWheels, jopamora liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Stay safe folks! I WMATAed today :P Bleh.

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm finding that weather reporting is getting so sensationalist that I'm starting to have trouble focusing on it.

The wife: They say there are going to be tornadoes and floods and hail the size of canned hams tomorrow. Are you going to ride?

Me: What? Oh, it's going to rain? I guess I'll have to take the hybrid then.

Post Thanks / Like

The wife as I am clickety-clacking across the great room on my way out this am. "You are going to ride in?!"

Me. "Yes but don't worry I took the 80mm carbon wheels off"

Wife.."?"

7. Likes dcv liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnoftheDread View Post
    I'm finding that weather reporting is getting so sensationalist that I'm starting to have trouble focusing on it.
    WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!!

I mean that in the nicest way.

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!!

I mean that in the nicest way.
    Some day, anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Storm risk downgraded. The thuderstorms that rolled through this morning pulled in some cooler air and calmed things down a bit. But all that sun we're seeing now is cauing a bit more agitation in the atmosphere, so still plenty of chance of some storms popping up here and there through the afternoon. Ride safe, folks.

11. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am liking the wind from the SW

jrenaut is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

After taking Metro, if we don't get hail, I'm going to be ticked.