ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Islabikes experience?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Of course!
    Dibs!

Post Thanks / Like

I know others have lamented the difficulty of finding good children's bikes. This mountain bike build Nao Tomii (builder/owner of Tomii Cycles) did for his son is pretty cool. Fully adjustable from 20" to 26" wheels! I'm sure it costs an arm and a leg unless you own your own jig and welding setup, but if you're kid can ride grow with it for more than 5 years it's a little less insane.

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen stuff like this from time to time, but I'm not convinced it's actually a great solution. By eye, it looks like the standover is higher than either of my kids' 20 inch bikes (meaning they'd need to be bigger to start). You'll almost always have an unusually short or long stem, which will affect handling. I dunno; if you're doing this to save money, the wheels & tires end up being a significant fraction of the cost and I'm not sure how much you'd really end up saving. If you're doing it to make the best possible bike, why compromise the fit? I guess I'd be interested to see how it works out, but I suspect it won't become a magic bullet for the problem of kid bikes.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

It is always nice to see builders designing bikes for their kids. For many of us, I imagine, cycling is very intrinsically connected to childhood and it is wonderful to see projects that focus on that demographic. Really I am sure that kids could care less (give or take) so the target market is here is reminiscent parents

There are a few kids bike options that are pretty nice now. Specialized makes nice, relatively light bikes. Obviously I am very pleased with Isla (and intend to keep buying these; they rock!). They are not super cheap, but if every bike costs $400 (i am guessing/averaging) and I need 4 before they are in adult sizes, that is still less than one of my bikes. (...And so I guess I am the perfect market for expensive kids bikes.)

Post Thanks / Like

if every bike costs $400 (i am guessing/averaging) and I need 4 before they are in adult sizes, that is still less than one of my bikes.
    This is not the argument I've tried at home, let me know how it goes. :-D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    This is not the argument I've tried at home, let me know how it goes. :-D
    Oh, I don't anticipate making the case to my wife. I will just use discretionary allowance; that is how my non-transport bike purchases happen -- and how my kid's CNOC 14 got purchased. (Though $270 is basically on par with Specialized prices.)

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I picked this up today. Unfortunately it fits the smaller kid instead of the one I was shopping for. So I still need one more!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Isla.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	4083

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful! Is that a UK import? (The current US ones have a coaster brake up to 16" wheel size.) I am envious; coaster brakes suck! :-)

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful! Is that a UK import? (The current US ones have a coaster brake up to 16" wheel size.) I am envious; coaster brakes suck! :-)
    Yes! Freewheel in the back.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 14 tooth fixed cog if that would help.