Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Third Thursday HH in Foggy Bottom is June 20th!

Live on Capitol Hill, work in downtown DC
    Post Thanks / Like

That was fun! If the rest of the internet got together in real life periodically, think of how civilized it would be.

2. Likes vvill, KLizotte, Dickie, cephas, dasgeh and 1 others liked this post
    americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve for setting that up! I was actually able to attend, albeit briefly. Great to see Shawn TOO TALL Dread, John (lim), John (bisekeli), and Mike "mWAH" Essig. Nice to see will too on my way out. I knew I was headed in the wrong direction when I saw Dickie, Honeybager and Mr Refracto all headed the other way. We'll have to do this again so I can slam a beer and leave early again. Good times!

4. Likes Dickie, dasgeh, KelOnWheels liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome meeting everyone -- its also good to put a real person to a forum name -- and you guys are a great group of biking enthusiasts!

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnoftheDread View Post
    Had just enough beer to try a ride pic after, but not so much that I crashed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371784353.386247.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	3148
    Nice! What time did you guys get out of there and how was the ride back to fairfax?

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    I can't say that bar has the best atmosphere I've ever seen (dudes in suits seem to have strange concepts of personal space), but I'm inclined to give a lot of latitude to any place that serves shrimp and sriracha on a pizza. Also a great beer list.
    The great lakes brew on tap was so good! Thanks Steve for providing us with the pizza munchies

Somebody mentioned some strava challenge or competition, anyone got a linkie?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    I can't say that bar has the best atmosphere I've ever seen (dudes in suits seem to have strange concepts of personal space), but I'm inclined to give a lot of latitude to any place that serves shrimp and sriracha on a pizza. Also a great beer list.
    Good prices too! $4 for a draft isn't easy to get anywhere in this area, let alone Foggy Bottom.... in central PA we used to get $3 pitchers of Yeungling during happy hour, but that's a different conversation.

HH was fun! Thanks for putting it together Steve. It got to talk to about half the people, and had a good time.

7. Likes lim liked this post
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad the Honeybadger and I got to stop for a bit before our free Nats game. The experience was marred, however, by a jackass driver who cut us off on Ohio Dr, leading to a collision with my wife. She's mostly just sore, thank goodness, but it could've been much worse.

We were riding down Ohio toward the Jefferson, but it was prime time dudebro hour because of the alumni softball games. So drivers were randomly stopping, pulling out, u-turning, what have you. Almost at the end of Ohio, before the bridge, we had one driver left in front of us. We were cruising at maybe 12mph and he pulled off to the right side of the road, as if he were going to double park to unload (like everyone does during softball season). My wife and I were essentially riding abreast behind him, so when he pulled to the right, I slowed to merge behind my wife to pass him, and my wife proceeded to ride around him. But right then, he made an unsignaled and very quick u-turn right in front of us. Because I was riding on the right and was slowing down to move left, he wasn't really in my path of travel, so I was able to avoid him, but my wife wasn't so lucky and couldn't stop before hitting his broadside. He was pretty stunned, but basically apologetic and aware that he was at fault, and because my wife seemingly wasn't seriously hurt and the bike didn't appear to be damaged, we just pulled everything off the road and exchanged insurance/contact info. After a minute, a Park Police officer showed up and was a total prick...he made it clear that he wasn't going to file a report or anything and was basically just like "work it out, I got shit to do". So with the prospect of beer and hot dogs still in front of us, my wife bravely carried on to the Nats game (FTW!!) and we had fun at the game.

9. Dislikes vvill, nikki_d, Dickie, dasgeh, ShawnoftheDread and 1 others disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    Glad the Honeybadger and I got to stop for a bit before our free Nats game. The experience was marred, however, by a jackass driver who cut us off on Ohio Dr, leading to a collision with my wife. She's mostly just sore, thank goodness, but it could've been much worse.

We were riding down Ohio toward the Jefferson, but it was prime time dudebro hour because of the alumni softball games. So drivers were randomly stopping, pulling out, u-turning, what have you. Almost at the end of Ohio, before the bridge, we had one driver left in front of us. We were cruising at maybe 12mph and he pulled off to the right side of the road, as if he were going to double park to unload (like everyone does during softball season). My wife and I were essentially riding abreast behind him, so when he pulled to the right, I slowed to merge behind my wife to pass him, and my wife proceeded to ride around him. But right then, he made an unsignaled and very quick u-turn right in front of us. Because I was riding on the right and was slowing down to move left, he wasn't really in my path of travel, so I was able to avoid him, but my wife wasn't so lucky and couldn't stop before hitting his broadside. He was pretty stunned, but basically apologetic and aware that he was at fault, and because my wife seemingly wasn't seriously hurt and the bike didn't appear to be damaged, we just pulled everything off the road and exchanged insurance/contact info. After a minute, a Park Police officer showed up and was a total prick...he made it clear that he wasn't going to file a report or anything and was basically just like "work it out, I got shit to do". So with the prospect of beer and hot dogs still in front of us, my wife bravely carried on to the Nats game (FTW!!) and we had fun at the game.
    sorry that happened, glad it wasn't worse.

jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you two are okay. I'd get the bike checked out, though - when I got hit by the cab, there was no visible frame damage, but the rear fork was bent beyond the maximum allowable angle.

12. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you guys are ok. Personally, I hope you'll report the collision to WABA and report the officer to NPP. I think it's important for us to keep accurate stats on when/where there are collisions, so we can address issues and focus our efforts on places that are the most dangerous.

14. Likes KLizotte, nikki_d liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So why is this HH thingie only once a month? I was pretty bummed not to make it. And I motion (see arms in motion) to at least have it twice a month. Seconds? I need a refill!!

Looks like the cycler behind you is smiling. more than the guy right in front of the camera!

Post Thanks / Like

The left foot of the person behind you looks exactly like the face of a spaniel.