Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: CaBi needs to be better known (a little story)

  1. #1
    lordofthemark's Avatar
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    3,315
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default CaBi needs to be better known (a little story)

    Fairfax folks seem to be unaware of it

    So, this Saturday I was in synagogue in Alexandria. It just happened to be the Bat Mitzvah of the daughter of the Mayor of Chicago (whose family attended our synagogue when they lived in Washington - our rabbi is from Chicago). Good idea to have it here, where the kid grew up, rather than in Chicago where the focus might have been more on the Mayor.

    Naturally all I said to Rahm was "Mazel Tov"

    But I joked with a fellow congregant (who happened to be from Fairfax) that I should have said "and good luck on the bike share rollout"

    "bike share?" Blank look.

    "Yes, like CaBi, what we have here. Capital Bikeshare"

    "Cabi?" Blank look.

    Tried the joke on someone else, same result.

    Even though I haven't joined CaBi, its kind of on my radar screen. This reminds me how, in becoming a cyclist, I've just entered ANOTHER small group with a marginal culture.

  2. #2
    baiskeli's Avatar
    baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,563
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    This reminds me how, in becoming a cyclist, I've just entered ANOTHER small group with a marginal culture.
    AKA civilization.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Live: Palisades, DC | Work: Crystal City
    Posts
    954
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Funny thing is that Gabe Klein was also in town this weekend - any chance he was at that Bat Mitzvah?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Live: Palisades, DC | Work: Crystal City
    Posts
    954
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Marginally related:

    I wonder how long before a CaBi shows up docked in NYC....or a CitiBike shows up docked in DC.

  5. #5
    lordofthemark's Avatar
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    3,315
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bilsko View Post
    Funny thing is that Gabe Klein was also in town this weekend - any chance he was at that Bat Mitzvah?
    I am sorry to say I wouldn't have recognized Mr. Klein.

    I also attended Friday night (a bit unusual for me lately, but it was my father's yahrzeit and I was there to say kaddish (hebrew/yiddish explained on request)) and seeing Rahm my first thought was "Is he here for Chicago business, or to fix things at 1600?" Wasn't until his daughter got up to say the blessing over wine at the end that I realized it was the eve of her Bat Mitzvah ceremony.
    Last edited by lordofthemark; 06-03-2013 at 02:23 PM.

  6. #6
    PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    4,766
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bilsko View Post
    Marginally related:

    I wonder how long before a CaBi shows up docked in NYC....or a CitiBike shows up docked in DC.
    I took a wrong turn on CaBi the other day and suddenly found myself in Philadelphia...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,698
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bilsko View Post
    I wonder how long before a CaBi shows up docked in NYC....or a CitiBike shows up docked in DC.
    I was curious about this so I asked around: I think what would happen is that even though the bike and dock/locking mechanism looks the same, the software running the kiosk wouldn't recognize the bike and you couldn't dock it. Even if you did manage to dock the bike and get it to lock, since the backend software is completely different (and in no way communicates with the software in other cities) you wouldn't officially be checking the bike back into the system so you'd get dinged with all the overage fees and after 24 hours the bike would be considered stolen. You'd probably be getting a phone call...

  8. #8
    dasgeh's Avatar
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,742
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    I was curious about this so I asked around: I think what would happen is that even though the bike and dock/locking mechanism looks the same, the software running the kiosk wouldn't recognize the bike and you couldn't dock it. Even if you did manage to dock the bike and get it to lock, since the backend software is completely different (and in no way communicates with the software in other cities) you wouldn't officially be checking the bike back into the system so you'd get dinged with all the overage fees and after 24 hours the bike would be considered stolen. You'd probably be getting a phone call...
    Yeah, but you guys could probably get away with it. It would be a fun little field trip...

  9. #9
    americancyclo's Avatar
    americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,019
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    you'd get dinged with all the overage fees and after 24 hours the bike would be considered stolen. You'd probably be getting a phone call...
    So if you could manage 11mph, you'd get to DC BEFORE that phone call.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,288
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PotomacCyclist View Post
    I took a wrong turn on CaBi the other day and suddenly found myself in Philadelphia...
    Mehak, is that you?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •