Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MVT 4th of July fireworks?

Post Thanks / Like

Default MVT 4th of July fireworks?

Hey ya'll. Has anyone tried watching the 4th of July fireworks from the MVT on Columbia Island. I'm thinking between the inlet and Memorial Bridge. I would imagine the view is great from there. Do a lot of people set up "camp" along the shore there? I'd like to go down there with a friend, a blanket, some snack food, and drinks.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't done it myself but I know it is a very popular place to watch the fireworks from. Gravelly Pt is also very popular though I think I'd prefer CI due to the presence of bathrooms and picnic tables. I suspect any of these places would be best visited by bike due to a lack of parking and the inevitable parking jam trying to get out.

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Another option is Long Bridge Park in Crystal City, just behind the MVT. Since the 1st phase of the park is complete, they now schedule day-long events in the park on Independence Day, from 3 to 10 pm. Nothing too fancy, but it's a convenient location to watch the fireworks. There are bathrooms and drinking fountains. There are food trucks in the parking lot that day, along with some low-key music entertainment.

Last year was the first time they did this. (The park opened during the previous winter.) The park became somewhat crowded by the time the fireworks started, so you may want to show up a little early to get a good viewing spot.

The County website for the event: http://www.arlingtonva.us/portals/to...page85181.aspx

And the County's video of last year's event:

There are bike racks at a couple different locations in the park, but I suspect that they will fill up quickly that day. (I rarely see the racks used on normal days. People either drive or walk, or they leave their bikes next to the soccer fields and keep them within sight.)
    Last edited by PotomacCyclist; 05-25-2013 at 06:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MCL1981 View Post
    Hey ya'll. Has anyone tried watching the 4th of July fireworks from the MVT on Columbia Island. I'm thinking between the inlet and Memorial Bridge. I would imagine the view is great from there. Do a lot of people set up "camp" along the shore there? ....
    Yes, it usually is *very* crowded all along the river, and it gets more crowded as the time for fireworks nears.

Post Thanks / Like

An issue is the trip home after the fireworks. The MVT is usually dark and crowded with pedestrians with varying degrees of awareness and sobriety. A biker needs lots of lights, patience and time, because it can be really slow going.

Other than that, biking to a spot on the river is a great way to get premium viewing with minimal effort.

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a great spot, which is why it's very crowded. Getting in and out by bike is a great idea, though at first it will be very crowded (walk your bike crowded) and you'll need a light. After that, though, it's a breeze.

I haven't tried this, but I've always thought the shaded area at LBJ park on the other side of the Parkway would be an even better spot. Shady, near bathrooms, and a back exit across the footbridge.

Post Thanks / Like

I did it 2 years ago from here (not sure the link will work properly. The new Google maps doesn't appear to have a dedicated way to share location links, but the URL is different for every view, so that link may or may not work)

anyways it was pretty crowded (although not intolerable), LOTS of bugs in the air and on the ground, and really crowded on the trail back to Key Bridge

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking of driving down to Gravely Point in the evening with my "friend". We're both plane nuts so we'll probably be drooling over airplanes for a while there. Then walk up the MVT to find a nice spot around 7:30 or so. I was hoping it wouldn't be crowded and we'd have a grove to ourselves, but oh well.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MCL1981 View Post
    I'm thinking of driving down to Gravely Point in the evening with my "friend". We're both plane nuts so we'll probably be drooling over airplanes for a while there. Then walk up the MVT to find a nice spot around 7:30 or so. I was hoping it wouldn't be crowded and we'd have a grove to ourselves, but oh well.
    Unless you get there really early you may wish to park in Crystal City and walk or ride to Gravelly Pt via the MVT. Parking is at a minimum at GP though I've seen people park on the grass (not sure if NPS will allow that on July 4).

Post Thanks / Like

How would parking at LBJ compare to GP?