Likes Likes:  65
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  3
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Happy BTWD Eve!

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

So far I have celebrated BTWD eve, by bring a plastic bag containing two towels (the gym here will allow cyclists to use the showers tomorrow, but they have no towel service) and a chang of underwear on the metro.

This will be the first time I've bike commuted to work since I was in college (and rode to a summer job).

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scott930 View Post
    Sadly can't make this a regular thing since I have to drop my child off at daycare every Mon-Thurs and can't make it there with a bike trailer. I'm really exited to roll into work tomorrow and really jealous of you daily commuters who can abandon the car.
    You should come to Kidical Mass on Sunday (and if you can't make this month, June, July and September await). You can bring the kid and it will be awesome!

Amalitza Guest

If the weather and my nerves both hold out, I'll be riding home this evening in preparation for riding back to work tomorrow.

I tested my legs out a couple weeks ago with a 30-mile ride on day 1 and a 37-mile ride on day 2. Legs passed with flying colors-- new PR climbing the hill to my house in the last mile of day 2. Nerves and traffic skillz I'm less confident about, but I've only been plotting this out for the past year or so-- I believe it's put up or shut up time.

Depending on how many times I almost die on the way home, I do have the option of chickening out riding back in tomorrow, though I expect the uglier parts to be somewhat less ugly at 6:30 in the am than at 8:00 in the pm.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    You should come to Kidical Mass on Sunday (and if you can't make this month, June, July and September await). You can bring the kid and it will be awesome!
    I'll keep in on the radar for later this summer. According to my reading, my little girl is still a bit too young for me to take out in the trailer. But she's getting close to being included on runs and rides.

Post Thanks / Like

Have fun, folks! A last-minute family matter is taking me out of town tomorrow - first BTWD I've missed since I first heard of it several years back...

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scott930 View Post
    I'll keep in on the radar for later this summer. According to my reading, my little girl is still a bit too young for me to take out in the trailer. But she's getting close to being included on runs and rides.
    Thanks! We did a lot of agonizing on when to take our little ones (now 2.5 years and 6 months) on bikes. I found this site to be very helpful. We have a front bike seat, so we waited til 8 months with our daughter and haven't taken our son out yet. BUT He might make an appearance on Sunday in a car seat in the Bullitt. We'll see.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

shoot! I forgot to take long pants in with me. And looks like tomorrow will be warm enough to make the idea of biking in long pants particularly silly. This will, thus, be my first time in a long time wearing shorts to work.

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

I like Bike to Work Week. But I'm not jealous of being a newbie. I'm glad I'm no longer a newbie. I made plenty of dumb rookie mistakes in my first month or two (although it had more to do with my sport training approach than with being a bike commuter). I try to provide tips to new cyclists where I can, including at work. But jealous of being a newbie -- nope. Never. I don't need more bumps and bruises like that.

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    shoot! I forgot to take long pants in with me. And looks like tomorrow will be warm enough to make the idea of biking in long pants particularly silly. This will, thus, be my first time in a long time wearing shorts to work.
    I find that properly folded work pants keep nicely in a small backpack or messenger bag in the amount of time it takes to ride to work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnoftheDread View Post
    I find that properly folded work pants keep nicely in a small backpack or messenger bag in the amount of time it takes to ride to work.
    Currently my only choice is a large backpack - I was very much planning on making things as easy as possible tomorrow by riding with no back pack.