Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  6
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Arlington Pit Stop Route Questions

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Dupont Circle
    Posts
    342
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    The most bad-ass cyclist always has the right of way.
    More like the most dumb ass cyclist always has the right of way

  2. #12
    DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Westover Beer Garden
    Posts
    2,651
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    is the universal smiley of sarcasm.


    Actually, I disagree with the zipper approach to the tunnel. It would seem much more efficient for groups of cyclists/pedestrian to alternate north and southbound under the bridge rather than individual cyclists/pedestrians. I don't see any problem with tagging along at the end (not significantly behind) a group with temporary right-of-way.

  3. #13
    baiskeli's Avatar
    baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,572
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    The danger at Lee and Lynn is from drivers not looking for cyclists. One would hope this would not be an issue on bike to work day. One would also hope that ACPD would be there, ticketing scofflaw drivers, but that's probably wishful thinking.
    I'd say the dangers there are due to several causes. Some cyclists do their best to increase their odds of getting hit there.

  4. #14
    dasgeh's Avatar
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,788
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baiskeli View Post
    I'd say the dangers there are due to several causes. Some cyclists do their best to increase their odds of getting hit there.
    For a law abiding cyclist, what danger is there other than a right-turning driver not yielding to cyclists? There are no left-turners there. There are some design issues that make it harder for right turners to see cyclists early in their turn, but all drivers can see cyclists before driving through the crosswalk. I'm asking because I cross there twice a day now, and I don't want to miss something.

  5. #15
    baiskeli's Avatar
    baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,572
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    For a law abiding cyclist, what danger is there other than a right-turning driver not yielding to cyclists? There are no left-turners there. There are some design issues that make it harder for right turners to see cyclists early in their turn, but all drivers can see cyclists before driving through the crosswalk. I'm asking because I cross there twice a day now, and I don't want to miss something.
    Well, you went and used the term "law abiding cyclist." That's your problem right there. Some cyclists fly through against a red "don't walk" signal, right when cars are seeing their last chance to make it through on that light and likely to gun it. Or worse.

    But even abiding by the law isn't enough sometimes in dangerous situations. I'm extra careful there because the intersection is poorly designed and Washington drivers are, well, let's say poorly designed too, and some cyclists can be hazards there too. I take it slow there, I watch for cars that don't see me, I watch for bikes crossing against the opposite red or flying past me without calling, I give motorists eager to turn right to the bridge the chance by not entering the intersection on the red countdown for the crosswalk (technically illegal anyway, I believe), and if I see the need to yield even when I have the right of way, I do (though I may sometimes indicate my displeasure afterward through verbal means or sign language).

    Nothing more than defensive riding, in other words, which we cyclists must do double because we are so vulnerable in a collision.

  6. #16
    rcannon100's Avatar
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    “The dog is the god of frolic.”
    Posts
    4,540
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Lynn St and Lee Hwy scares the crap out of me. Cars constantly run the red light - its not a question of whether a car will run the red but how many. I have seen cars run through the red WAY after it went red. Cars in the right lane on Lee west bound will creep forward attempting to jump the light, and slam into anyone in the crosswalk. Cars behind those cars that have properly yielded, will start honking and acting aggressively in order to force the first properly-yielding car to move.

    I dont do it.

    Instead, going east bound, I hop up the ramp beside the Marriott, which puts me in Gateway park. Now when I cross east bound, all the cars next to me will be at full stop. And when I cross north bound all the cars will be full stop. No more salmoning through psycho rush hour aggressive drivers. It takes a couple seconds longer - but it is a lot safer.

    Name:  Lynn.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  20.3 KB

    Going west bound, with the 2 second head start the cross walk gets, I find not as bad.

    Cyclists have been complaining to Arlco and VDot about the intersection of doom for as long as I have been in Arlington (almost 25 years). And nothing changes (oh wait, we got new curb cuts. y a y )

  7. #17
    baiskeli's Avatar
    baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,572
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    Lynn St and Lee Hwy scares the crap out of me. Cars constantly run the red light - its not a question of whether a car will run the red but how many. I have seen cars run through the red WAY after it went red. Cars in the right lane on Lee west bound will creep forward attempting to jump the light, and slam into anyone in the crosswalk. Cars behind those cars that have properly yielded, will start honking and acting aggressively in order to force the first properly-yielding car to move.
    Yeah, and the cars turning right from the east to the bridge are a hazard because they are looking to their left for a chance to turn and may not see you on their right crossing--especially if you are approaching from the east and in their right shoulder blind spot. That's when they have a green. They are often stuck in traffic getting to the intersection, and eager to turn right once they get there, but then they have to yield to the bikes and peds and wait for room behind cars already in the road toward the bridge, or even wait for traffic that is blocking the intersection to clear. So as they see they are about to get another red light, they may try to rush through. That's a bad time to be going through the intersection in front of a desperate, frustrated driver in a steel box. That's why I don't cross there near the end of the cycle.

    From what I think you're saying you do, it looks like your route is my idea for fixing this intersection - run the trail over to cross further down so there's no right-turning cars to deal with.

  8. #18
    dasgeh's Avatar
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,788
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baiskeli View Post
    Yeah, and the cars turning right from the east to the bridge are a hazard because they are looking to their left for a chance to turn and may not see you on their right crossing--especially if you are approaching from the east and in their right shoulder blind spot. That's when they have a green.
    When the cars coming from 66 have green, they don't have to look over their left shoulder for traffic coming from the left. Green means they can turn right if the crosswalk is clear.

    I completely agree with you about the defensive cycling, but for the reason I stated. The danger here is that drivers don't look for (ok, I'll add) and appropriately yield to crosswalk traffic. So as long as you expect that, it's not that hard to get through this crosswalk. Especially at the beginning of the cycle. rcannon, you have a leading ped cycle whether you're heading east or west. I do find it's safest to cross in that part of the cycle, but as long as I make eye contact with drivers and am ready to stop for drivers being aggressive, I don't find it impossible to get through that intersection in other parts of the cycle.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    57
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    The most bad-ass cyclist always has the right of way.
    In that case, I WIN! I'll be taking that to the bank...

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    57
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DCAKen View Post
    More like the most dumb ass cyclist always has the right of way
    Doh! I'll continue zippering per two wheels' directive...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •