Likes Likes:  36
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  3
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Help to ID cyclist who assaulted me on the WO&D near Custis 7:45am May 13th

Post Thanks / Like

Why does it seem at times that the more metal, the more road rage and inflated tough guy attitude....drivers > cyclists > runners/walkers?

Sadly there is a subset of cyclists that give the whole of us a really bad name on the W&OD. And it isn't just the people bombing through stop signs and red lights. I'm a runner on the W&OD almost daily, far more often than I'm a cyclist, and defensive running has become a necessity due to riders going 2+ abreast or passing, over the center line, and assuming that I'm going to move. Though I certainly don't want to play chicken with an oncoming cyclist and know I'd take the worst of a collision, it's tempting to just hold my line. Why should I be required to seek shelter on the shoulder because you can't ride single file or pass appropriately? Thank god for the bridle trail west of Vienna being a safe haven (although have been chased there by an off-leash dog).

Folks should really put themselves in each others shoes and understand the issues. As a runner and cyclist on the W&OD, and a driver on roads that intersect the W&OD a couple times a day, all three groups can be more alert, more courteous, and more forgiving.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scott930 View Post
    Why does it seem at times that the more metal, the more road rage and inflated tough guy attitude....drivers > cyclists > runners/walkers?

Sadly there is a subset of cyclists that give the whole of us a really bad name on the W&OD. And it isn't just the people bombing through stop signs and red lights. I'm a runner on the W&OD almost daily, far more often than I'm a cyclist, and defensive running has become a necessity due to riders going 2+ abreast or passing, over the center line, and assuming that I'm going to move. Though I certainly don't want to play chicken with an oncoming cyclist and know I'd take the worst of a collision, it's tempting to just hold my line. Why should I be required to seek shelter on the shoulder because you can't ride single file or pass appropriately? Thank god for the bridle trail west of Vienna being a safe haven (although have been chased there by an off-leash dog).

Folks should really put themselves in each others shoes and understand the issues. As a runner and cyclist on the W&OD, and a driver on roads that intersect the W&OD a couple times a day, all three groups can be more alert, more courteous, and more forgiving.
    It's not a mode thing, it's a selfish human thing; I've had as much trouble with joggers running 2 or 3 abreast as with cyclists. I've also had pedestrians yell at me for being (legally) on a shared trail. And don't get people started on ninja crazy ivans.

I have started providing feedback to cyclists passing pedestrians at high speed "in the middle lane," as I think it's important for a community to establish acceptable norms, but I don't really expect that to make a difference given the immense weight of selfishness on all sides in our society.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bad Behavior

I spend a lot of time on the W&OD wearing a Trail Patrol jersey and we see a lot of this. I was threatened with assault once when I called out a rider for passing unsafely- and he had a chiled seat on the rack on his bicycle. I wish we had a solution to this kind of behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    It's not a mode thing, it's a selfish human thing; I've had as much trouble with joggers running 2 or 3 abreast as with cyclists. I've also had pedestrians yell at me for being (legally) on a shared trail. And don't get people started on ninja crazy ivans.

I have started providing feedback to cyclists passing pedestrians at high speed "in the middle lane," as I think it's important for a community to establish acceptable norms, but I don't really expect that to make a difference given the immense weight of selfishness on all sides in our society.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrikerOne View Post
    I wish we had a solution to this kind of behavior.
    There are a few workable solutions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mcgeekgrrl View Post
    Although I am not disputing that the guy in question is an asshole, I would suggest that we all should at least TRY to refrain from making inflammatory comments. He was rude to you--but calling him an asshole is really not helping anything. If not for the sake of a more civil world, then how about for purely practical reasons, such as self preservation? People have been shot for lesser insults. You just never know in these crazy times who is carrying a gun. (Or even if no gun, who will just stop and beat you up!)

Let's all avoid calling people names, and just breathe deeply the next time someone cuts you off or startles you. We can all do our part to lessening the incivility we are surrounded by every day.

My $.02
    I'm in complete agreement and have done exactly that for 2 years. However this guy is a habitual aggressor, this not being the his first time harassing me and other female runners as he aggressively speeds by and yells at us. At some point, someone needs to take a stand and stop him. I've filed a police report and plan on pressing charges.

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "a minefield of dumb games and social cliques badly disguised as a forum for DC bike advocacy."
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mcgeekgrrl View Post
    I would suggest that we all should at least TRY to refrain from making inflammatory comments.
    I find the best way to avoid road rage.... is to not engage in it. At all. Ever.

There are assholes out there. And just like our patron saint, Crazy Ivan, we must give this American, er, asshole, a wide berth. 5% of the population (or whatever) are jerks. There are a lot of people out there who are walking bad-moods, for whatever reason. If you respond to them, they are going to respond to you. If you step aside and let them by, they are going to find someone else to respond to.

I've been cycling for a long long long (long) time. I dont respond to road rage. At all. Ever. My goal is to get home safely. It's not to respond to a jerk.

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

White male, 50s, white facial hair, half-crazy - that narrows it down to about 2/3rds of bike commuters.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    I dont respond to road rage. At all. Ever.
    Little girl flippin' you the bird disagrees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    I find the best way to avoid road rage.... is to not engage in it. At all. Ever.

There are assholes out there. And just like our patron saint, Crazy Ivan, we must give this American, er, asshole, a wide berth. 5% of the population (or whatever) are jerks. There are a lot of people out there who are walking bad-moods, for whatever reason. If you respond to them, they are going to respond to you. If you step aside and let them by, they are going to find someone else to respond to. I've been cycling for a long long long (long) time. I dont respond to road rage. At all. Ever. My goal is to get home safely. It's not to respond to a jerk.

I disagree. A good citizen in a civilized society should take the time to stick his/her neck out to rectify a situation when they are witness to or the victim of a habitual abuser. Your method of dealing w/bad behavior results in women being held hostage in a house for 10 years, or a wife being murdered b/c her friends didn't want to "respond" to the jerky husband. People who behave aggressively over and over should be, at a minimum, called out.

I too have cycled for years and am also a parent-I teach my children that if they behave badly, they will be held accountable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baiskeli View Post
    White male, 50s, white facial hair, half-crazy - that narrows it down to about 2/3rds of bike commuters.
    Trust me... I know. I wish I'd been able to see the make and model of his bike... oh well. The good news is I know I'll get to see him again! AND I know how to get his attention LOL!!!!!