Likes Likes:  36
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need Help to ID cyclist who assaulted me on the WO&D near Custis 7:45am May 13th

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McChipstah View Post
    I disagree. A good citizen in a civilized society should take the time to stick his/her neck out to rectify a situation when they are witness to or the victim of a habitual abuser.
    Sure, but that doesn't mean you do it yourself. That can often just make things worse. Nobody is saying don't do anything when someone is being victimized. If things are serious, and there's no immediate threat that requires intervention, you can call the police or other appropriate authority.

Post Thanks / Like

Based on my experience, you have to go into these kind of conversations with a VERY even tone and avoid any sort of escalation. Even the hottest hotheads will respond to reason, that or you'll get a knuckle sandwich. Never yell obscenities, just critique what you see.

dasgeh is online now Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

I disagree. A good citizen in a civilized society should take the time to stick his/her neck out to rectify a situation when they are witness to or the victim of a habitual abuser. Your method of dealing w/bad behavior results in women being held hostage in a house for 10 years, or a wife being murdered b/c her friends didn't want to "respond" to the jerky husband. People who behave aggressively over and over should be, at a minimum, called out.

I too have cycled for years and am also a parent-I teach my children that if they behave badly, they will be held accountable.
    Is it possible that there is a difference being calling someone out in the vain of a "good citizen of a civilized society" and shouting "a$$hole" after a guy?

Honestly, shouting an expletive after someone sounds like road rage to me, and road rage + road rage = dangerous. That in no way makes what he did in any way ok. It's more practical advice - how can you stop this habitual aggressor? Involving others (us, the cops) and explaining your position calmly seem to be safer and probably more effective to me.

Speaking of good behavior and kids, you should come to Kidical Mass on Sunday. There will be lots of law abiding, enabled in part by Bike Arlington swag.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in complete agreement and have done exactly that for 2 years. However this guy is a habitual aggressor, this not being the his first time harassing me and other female runners as he aggressively speeds by and yells at us. At some point, someone needs to take a stand and stop him. I've filed a police report and plan on pressing charges.
    So what does he ride? Any other distinguishing characteristics?

I have video on now for all my rides just in case 's' like this happens.