Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Overnight trips by bike leaving from DC or metro?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Overnight trips by bike leaving from DC or metro?

Does anyone have ideas for a weekend trip 100% by bike, leaving from DC or from metro/bus?

Ones already on my list are the WO&D to Leesburg or Purcellville, C&O to Harpers Ferry, and Annapolis (leaving from the Metro bus to BWI, taking the BWI and Baltimore & Annapolis trails).

The ideal parameters would be riding on bike paths and/or relatively bicycle-friendly roads; between 20 and 60 miles one-way; overnight in an area different from the city, preferably with a little history, sites, or landscapes; and ability to stay in a hotel (versus camping). However, I'm curious to hear ideas that don't fit all these parameters.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been riding to Baltimore with alarming frequency lately. It's a nice ride, less than 45 miles each way.

Post Thanks / Like

If you do W&OD to Leesburg, I strongly recommend the Norris House Inn - very bike-friendly, right in downtown Leesburg, and they have secure covered bike parking too.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are interested in camping, there are a few nice options. Swain's lock on the C&O is always popular, My wife, the boys and I are planning a trip from our home in Fairfax out to either lake Fairfax, park, Burke Lake Park, or Bull Run Park. Prince William Park is also supposed to be nice. All of these could be reached on a Friday afternoon/evening.

Post Thanks / Like

It is a little longer than a single overnight, but I'd really love to head down the Northern Neck of Virginia on Adventure Cycling Association's Tidewater Potomac Route:

http://www.adventurecycling.org/rout...water-potomac/

I'd love to add a little trip over to Smith Island and maybe the Eastern Shore.

Pete

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    If you are interested in camping, there are a few nice options. Swain's lock on the C&O is always popular, My wife, the boys and I are planning a trip from our home in Fairfax out to either lake Fairfax, park, Burke Lake Park, or Bull Run Park. Prince William Park is also supposed to be nice. All of these could be reached on a Friday afternoon/evening.
    Heading out to Burke Lake Park this weekend for camping. Any suggestions for routes from Falls Church that aren't too congested? I'd like to ride on part of the CCT and would prefer to avoid the sidewalk riding on Braddock.

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

You could pick up the CCT in Wakefield Park and take that to the Fairfax County Parkway Trail.
    https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=S...&z=13&lci=bike

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Or you could ride through Vienna and Fairfax and take Ox Road to the park.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnoftheDread View Post
    You could pick up the CCT in Wakefield Park and take that to the Fairfax County Parkway Trail.
    https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=S...&z=13&lci=bike
    How's riding on the FFX Cty parkway path? enjoyable at all?

Post Thanks / Like

Not exactly bike-related, but vrbo.com is a great hotel alternative, especially in places that are off the beaten path.