Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: According to Garmin, 9.5k miles over the last 12 months.

Post Thanks / Like

Default According to Garmin, 9.5k miles over the last 12 months.

Laurie got me a Garmin for my birthday last year, and my first recorded ride was on May 13th, 2012 for Bike DC.

With May 13th 2013 coming up, I looked back that the last year of pretty consistently recorded rides (I had a little Garmin glitch last July that probably cost me a couple hundred miles...)

Overall, it looks like I'm going to come up a tad short of 10k miles per year, which was sort of a target, if not a goal.

But regardless, it was a great year for commuting, and the occasional silly weekend rides too! Not bad for the old fat guy.

Knock on wood, but I haven't had a flat for at least 6 or 7k miles, since I switched to the super heavy Schwalbe Marathons on the commuter bike.

Only bad thing: a couple of uncharacteristic road bangs over the last several months, once on ice (just pure stupid), once when I hooked my handlebar on the rear bumper of a delivery truck (even stupider), and once a couple weeks ago up in Baltimore (which I swear wasn't my fault, it was the combination of the water main break and sun that greased that rail spur so slippery that.... OK, that one was stupid too).

Going to work on not-being-so-stupid for the next year, and hopefully get in another 9.5kmiles without flats or crashes this time!

Here are my stats since last May 13:

ACTIVITY
    Avg Rides / Week 11
    Avg Distance / Week 219mi
    Avg Time / Week 15hr 53m
    YEAR-TO-DATE
    Distance 3,723.2mi
    Time 279hr 45m
    Elev Gain 123,816ft
    Rides 226
    ALL TIME
    Distance 9,537.3mi
    Rides 573
    Biggest Ride 100.9mi
    Biggest Climb 1,715ft

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbelt View Post
    Laurie got me a Garmin for my birthday last year, and my first recorded ride was on May 13th, 2012 for Bike DC.

With May 13th 2013 coming up, I looked back that the last year of pretty consistently recorded rides (I had a little Garmin glitch last July that probably cost me a couple hundred miles...)

Overall, it looks like I'm going to come up a tad short of 10k miles per year, which was sort of a target, if not a goal.

But regardless, it was a great year for commuting, and the occasional silly weekend rides too! Not bad for the old fat guy.

Knock on wood, but I haven't had a flat for at least 6 or 7k miles, since I switched to the super heavy Schwalbe Marathons on the commuter bike.

Only bad thing: a couple of uncharacteristic road bangs over the last several months, once on ice (just pure stupid), once when I hooked my handlebar on the rear bumper of a delivery truck (even stupider), and once a couple weeks ago up in Baltimore (which I swear wasn't my fault, it was the combination of the water main break and sun that greased that rail spur so slippery that.... OK, that one was stupid too).

Going to work on not-being-so-stupid for the next year, and hopefully get in another 9.5kmiles without flats or crashes this time!

Here are my stats since last May 13:

ACTIVITY
    Avg Rides / Week 11
    Avg Distance / Week 219mi
    Avg Time / Week 15hr 53m
    YEAR-TO-DATE
    Distance 3,723.2mi
    Time 279hr 45m
    Elev Gain 123,816ft
    Rides 226
    ALL TIME
    Distance 9,537.3mi
    Rides 573
    Biggest Ride 100.9mi
    Biggest Climb 1,715ft
    WOW! Holy...crap...
    Here, I brag to my wife about 100 miles in a week.

3. Likes Hancockbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great job!

Quote Originally Posted by ebubar View Post
    WOW! Holy...crap...
    Here, I brag to my wife about 100 miles in a week.

I was thinking the same thing. I almost hit 200 miles this week and here your average is above my longest week!

Good job!

Post Thanks / Like

Old, fat guys unite !

7. Likes Subby, Rod Smith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Calories!!!!!!

Brendan

Post Thanks / Like

Happy birthday! My Garmin turned one year yesterday. I purchased it to participate in the National Bike Challenge last year.

I rode a little farther than you (13000+ ...at 5.8mph avg. speed ) but lack the time constraints that a conscientious office worker is under. Not only do I ride on the job but I put in much fewer hours at work than you do. So, yeah, I'm a slacker and you kick ass. If I left home and returned when you do, I'd have 20,000 miles per year and enough money live debt free. Keep on trucking. You are inspirational.

10. Likes bikenurse, Greenbelt liked this post
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that is fantastic mileage. I think I rode ~8k last year so my goal *was* 10k for the year, but it looks like we are having a baby in Sept, so I imagine that I will be riding less this fall. Can't think of a better reason to fall short of that goal.

12. Likes Dickie, dasgeh, Rod Smith, ronwalf, Greenbelt and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Yeah, that is fantastic mileage. I think I rode ~8k last year so my goal *was* 10k for the year, but it looks like we are having a baby in Sept, so I imagine that I will be riding less this fall. Can't think of a better reason to fall short of that goal.
    Congratulations (on the baby)! Condolences (on the loss of biking time).

14. Likes Greenbelt, consularrider liked this post
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ebubar View Post
    Congratulations (on the baby)! Condolences (on the loss of biking time).
    Thanks! Before too long they can ride along (or be pulled along), so I am sure that I will make the 10k goal one of these next few years.

16. Likes dasgeh liked this post