Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  4
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Why I don't ride my bike to work anymore"

Post Thanks / Like

Default "Why I don't ride my bike to work anymore"

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

No time to bike commute, but he can particpate in Ironman distance triathlons? When does he get time to train for that? Just a question of setting your priorites, and clearly bike commuting lost.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Could use a different cover photo...jeez.

Post Thanks / Like

Meh. Some of his reasons are legit (its hard to deal with errands and kids on a bike), and some seem like excuses (I don't have a shower at work). His comment about how he always has negative interactions with motorists while "always riding the curb" says that maybe he isn't that experienced a road cyclist (riding the curb is, almost always, a really bad idea).

I disagree that you need to be some sort of superman to bike commute. My commute "costs" me about 10-15 minutes (how much longer it is to cycle versus driving). I don't have a shower at work either, and I manage just fine. Most things people pull out as insurmountable obstacles to bike commuting are fairly easily dealt with.

The article has overtones of justification; he didn't like his commute or didn't feel like doing it, and is sort of justifying not doing it anymore. He should just say "I didn't enjoy it, it didn't work with my life" and that would be fine. Bike commuting ain't for everyone.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

The author say unreliability (due to flats, whatever) is a problem with bike commuting. I would suggest that other modes of commuting tend to be much more unreliable.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with jabberwocky.

Though the kids and errands thing is completely BS. Kids LOVE riding. There are lots of options for bringing them along. You could even do something like a trailer and leave it at daycare, so as not to impact the rest of the ride to work. Driving is a lot more variable than riding. I know when I'll get home every day when I ride. Driving, depends on traffic, and can range from 10 minutes to 45...

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

On a more substantive note, his justifications seem a bit weak, meaning they could easily be overcome if he put some effort into it. That said, I do get annoyed by the US-based Copenhagenizers. "oh, you just need some infrastructure and some trendy clothes!" Well, yeah, infrastructure and clothing are an issue, but seriously, Copenhagen is flat with a mild climate, as is pretty much other European city we're told we need to be more like. Again, I don't disagree with the larger point that creating a casual bike culture (through education, infrastructure, etc...) is key, but too many times people forget that geography (meaning hills, sprawl) and and climate are legitimate barriers that can't be overcome with infrastructure (unless you build a bike lift on the Custis) and style.

Post Thanks / Like

Bike commuting is not an all or nothing proposition. Riding two days a week is still better than nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds to me like the guy concentrated on the negatives. For every crazy driver that almost hits me and makes me mad, about 10 leave me alone.
    Occasionally, there's that one driver who actually encourages me at a stop light!

I personally look at the positives of the bike commute and relish in the feeling that i'm getting away with playing in traffic on my bike. In particular
    I love when I manage to accelerate from a stop light and keep pace with a line of traffic. The looks of shock from drivers is great!

I wish this guy would've had more of those positive experiences to focus on.