Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riding to RFK for DC United

Post Thanks / Like

Default Riding to RFK for DC United

We're going to the DC United game this weekend, and were thinking about biking. I'm fairly comfortable getting there, but not quite so comfortable about leaving the bike and kid trailer locked up during the game. Has anyone biked to DC United before? Is the bike parking secure-ish?

Post Thanks / Like

I have biked to RFK befor but never for an event, and never after dark. If you are traveling before dusk the trail that runs along the north bank of the Anacostia is not bad (access through the construction area at the end of M street SE, although after the match I would stick to the surface streets - East Capitol or C street are wide with bike lanes.
    just my $0.02

Post Thanks / Like

It has been over a year since I biked there and I couldn't find actual bike parking when I went. I had to lock to a fence, but my bike was fine. They claim to have (limited) bike parking now http://www.dcunited.com/matchday/dir...to-rfk-stadium

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

DC United? Is that an airline?
    Last edited by ShawnoftheDread; 04-18-2013 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Oh, we're talking about metric football.

Post Thanks / Like

I've not biked there for a match, but I've seen plenty of cyclists afterwards, so clearly there is fairly safe bike parking around. Just remember proper lighting for the return trip - some fans kinda forget about being seen after dark....

Post Thanks / Like

I'm told by a coworker that the bike parking is pretty secure - he's left lights on his bike there without incident. So I think I should be okay. Thanks for the input, I'll report back on how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

All but a total success. Didn't quite take the most direct route there, but parking was easy. It got crowded - we were there early and the rack near the main entrance was empty, but by the time i left it was clear that they need to triple or so the bike parking.

We had to leave a bit early before the kids turned into pumpkins, but anyone thinking about biking to a DC United game should definitely do it.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post

We had to leave a bit early before the kids turned into pumpkins, but anyone thinking about biking to a DC United game should definitely do it.
    If you don't need to haul a trailer, sporting events alone make a CaBi membership worth the cost. Also, sounds like DC United needs a bike valet, like Nats park has. Even if they charged a few bucks for it, it'd be worth it for the peace of mind.

Post Thanks / Like

A bike valet would be great. No one even knew where the bike parking was. We did CaBi, too - my wife followed me while I pulled the kids. Though the station there is pretty small.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone used the new bike valet at Audi Field? https://www.twowheelvalet.com/audifield Website says you leave bike without a lock. I have always locked at National bike valet. I am going Wednesday night and thinking of leaving commuting backpack at work because of stadium no-bag policy, in which case I wouldn't be carrying my U-lock.