Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuesday Night Casual Mountain Bike Rides at Wakefield Park sponsored by Bikenetic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tuesday Night Casual Mountain Bike Rides at Wakefield Park sponsored by Bikenetic

Greetings humans.

I've started back leading mountain bike rides with Mid-Atlantic Off-Road Enthusiasts. I'm leading the Casually-paced rides at Wakefield on Tuesdays.

Tuesdays. Meet at 6:30pm at the Recycling Bins in the Audrey Moore Rec Center parking lot at Wakefield Park. Wakefield is located just OUTSIDE the beltway at the Braddock Road exit in Annandale, Virginia.

The Casually Pace rides mean that we'll ride at the pace of the slowest rider. We'll stop and regroup as needed to keep the group together. Ultimately the goal is to ride at a steady pace that makes it so that we don't have to stop and regroup very often. Some nights that will happen. Some nights it won't. I'm cool with that. I don't really do much of a riding clinic on these rides, but usually new riders will learn SOMETHING during the ride.

The terrain at Wakefield is quite mellow. There are some logs and rocks, but most are easily bypassed or walked over. It isn't the most interesting riding in the world, but it is one of the few opportunities that we have to ride single track close into DC at night.

You will need a powerful lighting system. We'll be on the trails for 60-90 minutes and having a light that can put out 300+ lumen for that amount of time will do you well. Most inexpensive commuter lights are NOT enough to ride in the woods. If you've got questions about that, let me know. I can help you figure out if what you're running will be enough to ride off-road.

This is the best opportunity you'll have to learn how much fun riding a mountain bike at night is! It is COMPLETELY different than riding in the day. It is lots of fun and generally we have a good group of people.

Info on the MORE Forum: http://www.more-mtb.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22384 -- This is a good source for info on if the ride is a go/no-go because of weather or trail conditions.

Bikenetic is the ride sponsor. If you LIKE them on Facebook, they also post up the status of the ride on their page: https://www.facebook.com/bikenetic?ref=ts&fref=ts

Got questions? Post up here or drop me an IM.

Hugs and kisses,

Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Dirt, I've gotten lost back there in broad daylight. I'm just sayin'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acc View Post
    Dirt, I've gotten lost back there in broad daylight. I'm just sayin'
    That is why it is good to go on a group ride. One of the first things you will learn is HOW to ride in a group. If we're doing it right, then no-one gets lost. I've only lost one rider on a ride.... and he showed up safe and sound the next day.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel so reassured. In the dark bumping over logs and boardwalks, what could go wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acc View Post
    I feel so reassured. In the dark bumping over logs and boardwalks, what could go wrong?
    Whatever it is, you will have (300 lumen) x (# of participants) trained right on you as you stumble to your feet trying to figure out what went wrong.

Liz

Okay, so that's not acc's theoretical nightmare, it's mine . . . I spent over eight miles wiping out on CCT singletrack today . . .

Post Thanks / Like

If you're not confident about your mountain biking skills by day, then perhaps this might not be the best ride for you.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry Dirt, I joke. I think this will be a great asset to our local MTB community and I am happy you are offering it. You are right, it is not for me. I hope that others who are better prepared take advantage and find out what you mean when you say night riding is fun. If you are reading this and have any interest, you will be in good hands with Dirt.

Liz

Post Thanks / Like

Later in the year these rides happen during daylight hours. I'll still be doing them at that time of the year.

Y'all bring up good points and it is important for people to be realistic about their mountain bike skills. I should have stated that in the first post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eminva View Post

. . . I spent over eight miles wiping out on CCT singletrack today . . .
    You are hilarious. Was that the section between the WOD and Oak Marr?

Post Thanks / Like

Pete is like a fluffy pink Yoda. Whatever your riding level, when riding with Pete, learn something you will.