Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips on getting a rack in Falls Church?

Post Thanks / Like

This is definitely Falls Church City, it is not Fairfax Country or Arlington County. There is a part of Fairfax County called Falls Church and then an independent city, Falls Church City (FCC). FCC is a separate jurisdiction on Virginia tax returns and trips people up continuously. I know, I live in FCC.

The City moves slow although I have heard of Wendy before in connection with bike/ped issues. There is a master plan to have some sort of pedestrian, biking, drivability feasability plan to improve things, biking improvements are probably lowest priority though. I'm not waiting for anything to be done soon though on biking. Arlington County and Fairfax County have done way more than FCC which has done next to nothing as far as bike infrastructure is concerned, no bike lanes and an antiquated bike route--took my daughter to ride on the route through a stretch of a park that was so badly rutted with tree roots that she got bucked off her bike by the huge roots. Since this is private land, I would go back to the business owner directly to install a rack although they may be miffed by the huge fee increase FCC has proposed for the storm water fund. Alternatively, you might find out who the landlord is and go to them since this is something the landlord should do for all the businesses in that particular location (think there is a party store, health food store, some fast food place, etc.) would benefit from it.
    Last edited by JeffC; 04-22-2013 at 09:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday I swung by Bikenetic, across the street from the yoga place. While happily riding their fat bike around the block a few times for giggles noticed that there is a bike rack behind their building. It is pretty far back by the dumpster. I'm not sure I would be comfortable locking my bike up there late at night but you might ask Jan if it is his and if it could be moved closer to a light.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elcee View Post
    This is right across the street from Bikenetic. I know they've collaborated with Falls Church Bikram, so it would be in both their interests to have bike parking. Maybe there's already a rack in Bikenetic's parking lot? (I never noticed since I usually wheel in my bike straight through the back door.)
    Quote Originally Posted by KayakCyndi View Post
    Yesterday I swung by Bikenetic, across the street from the yoga place. While happily riding their fat bike around the block a few times for giggles noticed that there is a bike rack behind their building. It is pretty far back by the dumpster. I'm not sure I would be comfortable locking my bike up there late at night but you might ask Jan if it is his and if it could be moved closer to a light.
    I think there is some confusion between Dancing Mind Yoga (929 W Broad St) and Bikram's Yoga College of India (1057 W Broad St)
    Bikenetic is across the street from Dancing Mind, but a block and a half away from Bikram.

The closest I have seen bike parking to the Bikram place is in front of Rite-Aid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by americancyclo View Post
    I think there is some confusion between Dancing Mind Yoga (929 W Broad St) and Bikram's Yoga College of India (1057 W Broad St)
    Bikenetic is across the street from Dancing Mind, but a block and a half away from Bikram.
    You are correct, sir!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JeffC View Post
    Arlington County and Fairfax County have done way more than FCC which has done next to nothing as far as bike infrastructure is concerned, no bike lanes and an antiquated bike route
    They did pass a law to enable police to harass cyclists on the W&OD, right? Or did you mean nothing _positive_. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff; i am 3 houses out of FCC on Tod St and yes in Falls Church, FFX Co. Yes, wendy led an effort for nearly a year to put a bike/ped plan together. i attended a couple of meetings and their was an online site for residents to comment blah blah. and then it was publised and presented to FCC heads of state. the vice mayor (i believe) read it and posted a letter to the editor in the FC News Press publicly admonishing the entire project and the staff for a gross document where absolutely nothing in it was feasible or could be implemented. the plan died...as far as i can tell...on the spot. i replied to the letter and recommended that the Vice Mayor not reprimand his staff in a public forum. it was really pretty pathetic. and there you have it...in my opinion. but you gotta give wendy credit for trying and with BikeNetic and others she is hosting a Pit Stop for the second year during Bike to Work day...i believe morning and evening.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adamx View Post
    the vice mayor (i believe) read it and posted a letter to the editor in the FC News Press publicly admonishing the entire project and the staff for a gross document where absolutely nothing in it was feasible or could be implemented. the plan died...as far as i can tell...on the spot. i replied to the letter and recommended that the Vice Mayor not reprimand his staff in a public forum.
    Is any of this available on the website?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adamx View Post
    Jeff; i am 3 houses out of FCC on Tod St and yes in Falls Church, FFX Co. Yes, wendy led an effort for nearly a year to put a bike/ped plan together. i attended a couple of meetings and their was an online site for residents to comment blah blah. and then it was publised and presented to FCC heads of state. the vice mayor (i believe) read it and posted a letter to the editor in the FC News Press publicly admonishing the entire project and the staff for a gross document where absolutely nothing in it was feasible or could be implemented. the plan died...as far as i can tell...on the spot. i replied to the letter and recommended that the Vice Mayor not reprimand his staff in a public forum. it was really pretty pathetic. and there you have it...in my opinion. but you gotta give wendy credit for trying and with BikeNetic and others she is hosting a Pit Stop for the second year during Bike to Work day...i believe morning and evening.
    Pretty typical of how Falls Church City is run, from what I can tell (I live about a block outside of FCC limits). An incestuous cabal and its house organ, the Falls Church News-Press, more interested in monster-scale cookie-cutter upscale retail than maintaining a decent quality of life for its residents.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane View Post
    Pretty typical of how Falls Church City is run, from what I can tell (I live about a block outside of FCC limits). An incestuous cabal and its house organ, the Falls Church News-Press, more interested in monster-scale cookie-cutter upscale retail than maintaining a decent quality of life for its residents.
    Do I dare ask how you feel about Anthony's?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
    Is any of this available on the website?
    http://fcnp.com/2012/03/22/letters-t...ch-22-28-2012/
    Snyder Assails Size, Cost of Pedestrian Plan

Editor,
    The City’s multi-hundred page “Pedestrian, Bicycling and Traffic Calming Plan” and related documents is set for first Council consideration on Monday, but was just unveiled this week during a poorly attended work session. While positive in intent and goals, it goes badly off track in terms of its huge, unnecessary costs and its multiple, serious negative consequences.
    The overall price tag is $22 million, requiring the diversion of tax dollars from pressing City needs such as schools, stormwater and public safety, or higher taxes for all. Worse yet, dozens, if not hundreds, of property owners face the destruction of their fences, the uprooting of trees and the loss of their on-street parking. That’s because the Plan doesn’t just provide for needed safety improvements (something we could all agree on) but instead adds “wants” such as sidewalks where they are not needed and removal of on-street parking to allow for bicycle lanes and other “improvements”. The tragic irony is that this waste of money actually might make our streets less safe, by making some streets one way (thereby encouraging higher speeds and cut-through traffic) and removing our citizens’ parked cars ( an inexpensive traffic calming measure). It also jeopardizes the historic look and feel of Falls Church that sets us apart from the rest of NOVA’s suburban sprawl. And, the reduced on-street parking will also hurt our businesses that rely on it to serve their customers, who in turn, help support the City through meals and sales taxes.
    It is imperative that we force the process to go back to the drawing board by identifying essential safety improvements and eliminating projects such as new sidewalks across the street where they already exist in residential neighborhoods. Otherwise, all taxpayers will face steep new bills and many property owners will wake up one morning to find City backhoes chewing up their yards, tearing out their fences, uprooting their trees and no parking signs placed where they have parked their cars for decades.
    Dave Snyder
    Vice Mayor, City of Falls Church

There are some other good ones out there too, of the "Oh my lord won't someone think of my cars! Where will I park my three cars!!!http://fcnp.com/2012/05/03/letters-t...-may-3-9-2012/
    http://fcnp.com/2012/04/26/letters-t...26-may-2-2012/
    http://fcnp.com/2012/04/21/shields-t...destrian-plan/
    http://fcnp.com/2012/04/05/letters-t...ril-5-11-2012/
    http://fcnp.com/2012/04/03/city-pedb...ublic-comment/