Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: WOD and Curtis Trail Condition on Feb 6, 2011

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    W&OD Trail
    Posts
    221
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default WOD and Curtis Trail Condition on Feb 6, 2011

    I'm planning to commute from Reston to DC on 2/7/11 but don't the conditions of trails. Can you provide the updates? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Herndon, VA
    Posts
    241
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm thinking I might brave it. My neighborhood in Herndon thawed significantly last night. If it's clear, the W&OD outta be at least passable. Yesterday was a big help.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    Posts
    931
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PrintError View Post
    I'm thinking I might brave it. My neighborhood in Herndon thawed significantly last night. If it's clear, the W&OD outta be at least passable. Yesterday was a big help.
    Lots of black ice at 3:30am... Doable, but if it looks wet it was usually frozen.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Herndon, VA
    Posts
    392
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ugh, I'm all ready to go West on the W&OD this morning. It's colder than I expected, perhaps I'll pass. Too bad it might be the only commute day for me this week.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Herndon, VA
    Posts
    241
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFX_Hinterlands View Post
    Ugh, I'm all ready to go West on the W&OD this morning. It's colder than I expected, perhaps I'll pass. Too bad it might be the only commute day for me this week.
    Sorry, no report from me this morning. The morning traffic report said route 7 was jammed up due to an accident, so I took the street hoping to pass a zillion stopped cars. Alas, it was already cleaned up by the time I got there. Rats.

    Today might be near 50 and sunny. If it thaws, I'll take the trail tonight and report back this evening.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Vienna, VA to Farragut North
    Posts
    1,591
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Report from the late shift:

    I set out about 8 a.m., picking up the W&OD at Gallows (avoiding the stretch between Cedar and Gallows that takes so long to thaw), riding a standard issue road bike, all the way through to Key Bridge.

    I did not fall and I did not have to get off and walk at any point. I did have to go quite slowly through some sections. Especially in the shady spots, there are still some icy stretches. But there was usually at least one narrow patch of bare pavement through those areas.

    Hopefully it will warm up nicely today and won't refreeze by the evening commute.

    Thanks to everyone who was posting reports through the last few weeks. It definitely helped!

    Liz

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    W&OD Trail
    Posts
    221
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Liz,

    Thank you for posting the detail report. I normally ride later 8:30 with same route WOD, Curtis, and Key Bridge but I chicken out this morning. Hopefully, it would dry up by Wednesday.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks for all the updates -- have been debating trying to leave work a little early today and to get some actual outdoor exercise with the good weather, but also didn't want to wipe out on the ice. I keep debating back and forth (was hoping for a small brick) but am right now crossing my fingers that the warmer temperatures have shaken off the worst of what was left.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Herndon, VA
    Posts
    241
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My friend and I will be hitting the trail around 5:30 tonight, hoping this beautiful day thawed some of the nasty spots. Will report back this evening.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Leesburg, VA
    Posts
    1,397
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    For anyone interested in conditions out west, I rode from Old Reston Ave out to route 28 this afternoon to see how things are. The trail is 95% clear. The other 5% still contained rutted snow and ice, but almost always had two clear tracks through it that were at least 12" wide (usually 2 ft or more though). I was on a road bike with slicks and did perfectly fine.

    The only tricky thing is going to be when the temps drop. There was a lot of snowmelt on the trail, I suspect that things will get icy in places early in the morning and later in the evening.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •