Likes Likes:  68
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  5
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Muggers on Custis

Post Thanks / Like

Default Muggers on Custis

Last night around 10 or so two men tried to mug me at gunpoint on the Custis just before Glebe Road/footbridge over the I-66 westbound offramp. As I topped the last of the two hills, I saw one walking slowly towards me on the far left side, then saw the other on the edge of the path on the right. The one on the left pulled a semiauto handgun. I accelerated as hard as I could, rammed them, stayed upright and fled. Called 911 ASAP. They also mugged another guy. He stopped, they put the gun in his mouth and beat him, broke his collarbone. The police took his report from the hospital.

Be careful out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Two Wheels View Post
    Last night around 10 or so two men tried to mug me at gunpoint on the Custis just before Glebe Road/footbridge over the I-66 westbound offramp. As I topped the last of the two hills, I saw one walking slowly towards me on the far left side, then saw the other on the edge of the path on the right. The one on the left pulled a semiauto handgun. I accelerated as hard as I could, rammed them, stayed upright and fled. Called 911 ASAP. They also mugged another guy. He stopped, they put the gun in his mouth and beat him, broke his collarbone. The police took his report from the hospital.

Be careful out there.
    Wow--yikes! Any description of the guys that you can provide?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    Wow--yikes! Any description of the guys that you can provide?
    Great thinking in a bad situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, glad you're all right.

Post Thanks / Like

That's crazy! Glad you are OK. Hope they catch these guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Two Wheels View Post

Be careful out there.
    Ugh. Glad you're okay.

It's notable that this is the exact same spot where the last attack on the Custis trail took place a couple of months ago.

http://www.arlnow.com/2013/01/10/thr...-custis-trail/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
    Ugh. Glad you're okay.

It's notable that this is the exact same spot where the last attack on the Custis trail took place a couple of months ago.

Thanks DaveK for finding this, I was wondering the same thing. I must admit when I saw the original posting I wondered how long it would take before cyclists would be targeted. I always figured the speed of a bicycle would be a deterrent, but never considered the effects of a gun.... really really frightening!

Glad you are safe Two Wheels, kudos for taking a run at the guys... I have no idea how I would have responded in that situation.
    Last edited by Dickie; 04-03-2013 at 12:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
    Ugh. Glad you're okay.

Thank you. The adrenaline is wearing off, and now I'm concerned about my daily commute. The ironic thing is that I was tired after a long day at work, so I considered heading up Veitch and taking Key and Fairfax Blvd to avoid the hills and did not.

I think when I'm stuck here at the office until late I will stick to surface streets and avoid the mugging hot spot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie View Post
    I always figured the speed of a bicycle would be a deterrent, but never considered the effects of a gun.... really really frightening
    The guys (more likely kids) on the MBT in DC have gone after cyclists a few times, mostly knocked them off their bikes as they've been riding by. It's not common but it has happened.

Post Thanks / Like

So that's what the helicopter I heard last night was:

https://twitter.com/BrianKal/status/319281534349742080