Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Custis Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

The melting is a good start. Trying to ride during the melt is difficult. Luckily I have shopping to do in Clarendon tonight, so I won't hit the really bad parts of the trail until I get to the far side of Falls Church.

Happy riding, folks.

Post Thanks / Like

Melt started to help, but there are many sections of trail that are still icy across the whole trail, with no passable line. There are large ice patches on the far side of turns with little warning. I was out late tonight and the temps are dropping fast. Everything is freezing up.

The 50 degree temps today might make you think that riding tomorrow will be safe and easy on the Custis or W&OD. It will not be. 60-70% of the trail is clear. That 30-40% is gonna be nasty as heck in the morning.

Love,

Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dirt - another invaluable post

Post Thanks / Like

As expected, lots of clear trail but still quite a bit of serious ice and many sections that do not have a clear path through.

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

The hill from milepost 3 to the Veitch St access trail is still a sheet of ice and I couldn't get traction going up it, even with studded tires. The stretch from Lyon Village to milepost 3 has lots of ice, but there is a narrow, mostly clear track. Lots of other icy patches from around St Annes past the Washington Blvd underpass. Also the Fairfax Dr access has some bad ice.

Post Thanks / Like

From rosslyn to Veitch st the trail is mostly dry and clear, with the exception of a couple of icy patches where you'll have to get off and walk. They're small though.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have an update after the rain and warm weather this weekend? Is Custis now mostly clear for tomorrow morning's commute, or still icy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pge View Post
    Anyone have an update after the rain and warm weather this weekend? Is Custis now mostly clear for tomorrow morning's commute, or still icy?
    Custis was generally OK Sunday morning, and W&OD was good from the beginning out to Lee Hwy/EFC, then sketchy in sections thereafter. Hopefully the warm weather the remainder of yesterday brought additional melting.